Diesel "Ping"

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Diesel "Ping"

Postby haroldcr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:44 pm

I've been running the old Land Cruiser on WVO and RUG. I mix 3 quarts of RUG, 1 gallon of Diesel to 5 gallons of WVO. Starts good, runs good. Just a little blue smoke until operating temp is near normal.

I have "Diesel Clatter", from the engine, which I'm not sure if that is "Pinging" or just typical worn engine clatter ??? I know Ping in Gas engines, but, know nothing about Ping in Diesels ???
Haroldcr
haroldcr

Postby SunWizard » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Compare the sound to running on 100% diesel, thats what it should sound like. No comparison to gas engine ping, diesels are always much louder.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby haroldcr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:30 pm

It's a little quieter than running on Diesel, but more noticable when not directly under load ??? It's a little difficult to describe.
Haroldcr
haroldcr

Postby froggo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:21 am

Hi haroldcr,

I'm running a HJ45 Landcruiser. My injectors were serviced before I started running on wvo and my vehicle is making the same sound.

The sound you hear, I believe is just injector hammer. We have needle type injectors and the hammer seems to be louder on wvo. I thought it was strange also but I'm not worried about it. If anything it sounds like they are working better with the greater viscosity of wvo. It could even be the injector pump is making better fuel pressure with the thicker wvo.

God bless froggo.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

HJ45 Landcruiser, 2 tank wvo homemade system.
froggo

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending