WVO running temperature min/max

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

WVO running temperature min/max

Postby vegnomad » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:34 am

I'm curious about the running temperature range for WVO. I've read you want the oil 150-160 degF that is entering your IP. Is there a minimum? What about a maximum? My truck can see water temp over 212 degF when hauling passes, and I want to know if there are any issues if the WVO gets that hot before entering the IP. Any details you can give about properties of WVO at the min/max range would be interesting to read and appreciated.
'98 Dodge 2500 12v cummins - in process of WVO conversion
2003 Jetta TDI - future conversion planned
vegnomad

Re: WVO running temperature min/max

Postby SunWizard » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:15 am

vegnomad wrote:Any details you can give about properties of WVO at the min/max range would be interesting to read and appreciated.

The min. depends on the WVO and whether it contains fat or PHO, and is 20-80F where part of it starts to solidify and can clog lines or filters. The extra thickness when cold can also make your pump be too weak causing low pressure and low power. No max. since the hotter the better until about 300F, which your coolant cannot reach. If you have an electric pump trying to pump that hot, they each have their own limits depending on design.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion