My Filtering System quit working and I can't figure it out!

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

My Filtering System quit working and I can't figure it out!

Postby Margaret » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi,
I've been cold upflow filtering since November of 2013 with no problems. Now it seems my final filter phase before it hits the car is clogging the goldenrod water blocking filter almost immediately. I've HP tested the oil coming out of the barrel before the filter, and it doesn't seem to have any water in it. (I'm not convinced I'm doing this correctly from all the descriptions I've read, but I only saw 2 tiny bubbles on the last test I did)

I used one goldenrod filter for about 7 months and now I've used 2 filters to filter 30 gallons.

The oil I use comes from a restaurant I own, no menu changes, same oil etc. The filtering set up is in my basement, about 65 degrees all year, I use no heat, I wheel the 33 gallon barrel out to the car to fill it, so it is final filtered in the cold, but doesn't really have time to get that cold and I did it all winter last year with no problems.

The oil settles in a 55 gallon barrel, is filtered through a 5 micron waffle filter before going to the 33 gallon drum where I pump it through the goldenrod water block filter as it goes to the tank on the car.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Frustrated in Ohio.
Margaret

Re: My Filtering System quit working and I can't figure it o

Postby John Galt » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:54 pm

The crud that collects in the bottom of the upflow barrel may need pumping out or draining.
John Galt

Postby dragonfly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:44 am

I think the filter clogging is due to unseen FATS in the WVO. HPT doesn't test for FATS, only water. I recently collected 55 gals of WVO that was so "clean" that I could see the bottom of the drum. Ran this batch cold at 1/2 gal/min and was shocked to see how much FAT was in the CF bowl. This same batch was rerun SIX times with the same results. I use the Simplecentrifuge open bowl centrifuge to cold filter the WVO from 4 restaurants. The CF bowl loaded up just after 5 gals passing through the CF. I finally wasn't interested in trying the oil any more so I dumped the batch into a renderer's barrel. I do have a very well heated two tank system utilizing a 16 FPHE and the small FPHE on top of the VW fuel filter. My WVO filters have about 20K on it right now. If you are a DYI person, the open CF bowl and 1/3 hp motor for about $500, an aluminum pressure cooker ($40), some aluminum welding for two pipes. More details if you want.
dragonfly

Postby Margaret » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:08 pm

John Galt wrote:The crud that collects in the bottom of the upflow barrel may need pumping out or draining.

So, I thought this might be the problem too, even though it goes through the 5 micron waffle filter before it hits the 33 gallon barrel just fine. I pumped 15 gallons off the bottom until it pumped clear, so what was coming off the top was still clean.

Any thoughts on the fat in the oil clogging the goldenrod filter?

I'm not sure why it would just start happening now and not before.

Thanks.
Margaret

Postby Margaret » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:14 pm

dragonfly wrote:I think the filter clogging is due to unseen FATS in the WVO. .

The filter does seem clogged, but if this were the case, wouldn't the 5 micron filter (that the cold upflow 55 gallon settle tank oil runs through before it hits the 30 gallon collecting drum) clog up?

It's still running through that ok, maybe a tad slower than it used to.

The goldenrod is 17micron, so I thought I'd be safe going from 5 to 17 & just catch the water if it was present.

Thanks for your help.
Margaret

Postby John Galt » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Any thoughts on the fat in the oil clogging the goldenrod filter?
I'm not sure why it would just start happening now and not before.

Temperatures are colder now. Likely cold enough to drop fats and hydrogenated oil out of solution.

My cold upflow is outside in an unheated shed. It 'automatically' adjusts to temperature that way. The fuel is stored outside too, and any fats, or hydrogenated oils drops to the bottom of the barrel and it doesn't get sucked up through the filter.
John Galt

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering