Bronze Valves - Will they cause corrosion?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Bronze Valves - Will they cause corrosion?

Postby White99z » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Hello! Quick question. I use the manual 3 way valves that SunWizard describes in his conversion. I believe they are SeaSense or whatever. However, ours have failed within just a couple months of running on VO. They seep VO and diesel out the top where the stem goes into the valve and also are not sealing properly, allowing diesel to flow even when we are running on VO.

I have been looking at some more sturdy ball valves, that have a metal ball sealing them rather than the nylon ball inside the seasense valves.

I need a stem extension to get the handle through our floor in the bus where they are mounted, and have been looking at these ones from Grainger because they appear to fit our needs. They are made out of bronze though. Everything else we have is brass fittings. Will the bronze cause any reactivity issues with the WVO in our system? Here's the valve:

http://www.grainger.com/product/APOLLO- ... =P2IDP2PCP

The company that makes these, Apollo, also makes a nice valve extension which should fit our needs well.
White99z

Re: Bronze Valves - Will they cause corrosion?

Postby John Galt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:04 pm

If the UVO you use is wet and acidic then it will corrode valves, and cause a lot more problems in the fuel system. Do a copper strip test to see if your fuel is corrosive. If it's not making a dull piece of copper shiny in a few days then it won't harm bronze valves.

The manual valves are a wise choice. Solenoid valves are failing now that they've been operating for a few years, and it can cause serious coking when valves don't do what you think they're supposed to do.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:03 pm

It sounds like the quality of the boat valves has gone down a lot since mine, which are still working fine after 8 years of hard use. I agree with everything John said. Normally its not a problem, I and many others use brass or copper in multiple places with more exposed area of copper in FPHE than area in valves. I have had no poly problems which is the main thing that copper and brass can accelerate, but mainly trouble if its like a copper coil in your WVO tank which some kits even have used for a long time.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Bronze Valves

Postby MrkiMedo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:11 pm

Hope this is decent place to ask it. Does anyone have experience with Chinese 1/2" 3 way valves from ebay?

On the paper they are supposed to handle large enough temperatures (up 120C) and pressure (up to 16bar)

shaft is shorter than marine ones but I Think it would not be a problem where I intend to use them.

One last question for those of you who are using manual valves. Do you use ones with T or L configuration?
MrkiMedo

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:27 pm

I have no experience with that valve but it looks OK. Tee is what is needed and all I ever used.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby MrkiMedo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:42 pm

SunWizard wrote:I have no experience with that valve but it looks OK. Tee is what is needed and all I ever used.

Is 1/2" overkill for flows seen in MB W124?
Do you think it possible to mount banjo directly to it or with some kind of additional fitting?

Thanks!
MrkiMedo

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:51 pm

MrkiMedo wrote:Is 1/2" overkill for flows seen in MB W124?

Yes. 3/8 is enough even on my large truck.
Do you think it possible to mount banjo directly to it or with some kind of additional fitting?

Yes and yes but you normally dont want the banjo anymore since you switch the return, see my thread on my truck which is the same plumbing I have done on my mercedes.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby MrkiMedo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:05 pm

SunWizard wrote:
MrkiMedo wrote:Is 1/2" overkill for flows seen in MB W124?

Yes. 3/8 is enough even on my large truck.

Yes and yes but you normally dont want the banjo anymore since you switch the return, see my thread on my truck which is the same plumbing I have done on my mercedes.

Oh no I do not think of banjo on the filter. I am wondering if I can have regular banjo's on the ports of the 3-way valves instead of barbs so I could better use space. Just a matter of how to attach lines to the valves
MrkiMedo

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:50 pm

Sure you can use whatever plumbing fittings you like as long as all the openings in them are larger than about 1/4". A tee is usually better than a banjo because of bigger openings.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion