Winterizing my WVO system.

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Winterizing my WVO system.

Postby White99z » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Hello! Now that we have had 12+ inches of snow here in West Michigan, I think it's pretty safe to say our bus won't be moving for a few months. It may be a little late now to ask... but are there any winter preparations we should make as far as our vegetable oil system goes? The mass snowfall caught us by surprise... although not like in Buffalo :shock: :shock: :shock:

We just got it spray foamed and will be doing the interior work throughout the winter (with our propane heater on :shock: ).

I'm just curious about any sort of winterizing that may need to be done to the fuel system, etc. We still have a bit of WVO in the tank, with a blend of diesel in it too. Should we add anything? Pump it out of the tank? Run some diesel through the WVO lines?!?

Thanks!
White99z

Re: Winterizing my WVO system.

Postby SunWizard » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Poly is what can happen if it sits, which depends on how long, type of oil, how abused it is, etc. The answer depends on all the factors in the poly thread at the top of this section. The safest thing is drain the WVO tank, put diesel in there and run it long enough to get WVO out of all lines, FPHE, etc.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: Winterizing my WVO system.

Postby White99z » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:37 am

SunWizard wrote:Poly is what can happen if it sits, which depends on how long, type of oil, how abused it is, etc. The answer depends on all the factors in the poly thread at the top of this section. The safest thing is drain the WVO tank, put diesel in there and run it long enough to get WVO out of all lines, FPHE, etc.

Thanks Sunwizard. I will get on draining it ASAP.
White99z

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion