the oil... it's ALIVE

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

the oil... it's ALIVE

Postby 7.3dieselMike » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:49 am

Ok, so I'm skimping on getting a centrifuge for now until I've got my Waste Vegetable Oil kit paid off.
Instead, I've opted to passively settle the WVO as shown here:
www.vegoilcar.co.uk/wvo_filtering_easy.php
Some of my 5 gallon carboys are about 7 months old and have started to grow what appears to be bacteria (white spherical blobs all around the inside) & others seem to be growing mold (dark brown/black stains on the inner walls of the cubbies).
1. Can I filter this "living" WVO and be alright?
2. Do I need to add some kind of biocide to be able to run this "living" WVO safely?
2-b. If so, what kind & where can I get it?
Thanks in advance :)
7.3dieselMike

Re: the oil... it's ALIVE

Postby SunWizard » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:20 am

The white blobs could be fats or PHO that separate out and can be filtered fine. Anything else like the brown stuff could be bad. A smell test is good to determine if there is anything bad, it will smell rancid or like vomit when you first open a cube. I would not use bad smelling WVO since that creates some acids and byproducts that are not easy to filter.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby John Galt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:32 pm

That's not an effective way to clean UVO. It doesn't remove water obviously, because no microbes or any critters can grow in dry UVO.

This information will be useful if you want clean dry UVO.
post8880.html#p8880
about72.html
John Galt

Postby 7.3dieselMike » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:14 am

Firstly, thanks for the replies.
I opened the carboy and took a whiff, it did not smell pleasant. I think I'll use this oil for something other than vehicle fuel. Luckily only a handful of my cubbies look like this.
@John:
Those were some excellent posts. Thanks for sharing your science & experience. I certainly will test my WVO as soon as I get a chance.
I really enjoyed reading your writeup on upflow settling as well. Your setup looks very similar to the person's "Advanced Settling WVO Filtering Process" in my OP.
According to your second link it seems that dissolved water & emulsified water will be what I would have to still worry about using the filtering method from the link in my OP. I still do not fully understand how upflow settling is able to separate these 2 types of water from UVO.
Would pumping the filtered oil through a RACOR fuel filter water separator with the AquaBloc filter help separate the water?
FWIW, I'm in the extremely hot & humid subtropics. We average about 6 days days under freezing
Do you mind posting a complete parts list of your upflow settling setup for less than $100?
7.3dieselMike

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering