My WVO system / want your feedback

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

My WVO system / want your feedback

Postby Jpflyby » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi, I'm Jp from Quebec Canada. I was thinking of wvo conversion 12 years ago back in school but never did it until this year. So I have made the decision of collecting oil. I then bought a used Raw Power centrifuge and by now I have collected about 800 gallons of oil that I keep in cubys for now. I have 3 x 250 gallon plastic tank ready to receive the clean oil but every thing here is frozen by the winter so will be filtering in the upcomming days. I have about 100 gal by now from last year. So here my picture of my conversion setup that I have made this winter. What do hou think? Any advice?

image.jpg
My setup, you can see the Hose on Hose into the plumbing insulation. A donaldson filter with 12v heat wrap into a neopren jacket that I'v made with my old dry suit. My FPHE also in plumbing insulation. My plastic tank that I have made from a 55 gal plastic barrel with a fuel pick up on the side. The two boxes are for the electrical, the bigger one has 6 relays and wires. The second one will be in the car to command with the switchs
image.jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 483 times

image.jpg
My setup, you can see the Hose on Hose into the plumbing insulation. A donaldson filter with 12v heat wrap into a neopren jacket that I'v made with my old dry suit. My FPHE also in plumbing insulation. My plastic tank that I have made from a 55 gal plastic barrel with a fuel pick up on the side. The two boxes are for the electrical, the bigger one has 6 relays and wires. The second one will be in the car to command with the switchs
image.jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 483 times

So what do you think? I want your comments/advices because I want to improve. This is to go into a 1983 Mercedes Benz SD. I'm the 3rd owner. The car came from texas. It has and will not be use during winter.

JpFlyby
Attachments
image.jpg
I'm a pilot so I like to flip switches. I have also made that up because I like to monitor my temperature with the probe install in the small black pipe fitting/tubing... Also with a glow plug but this time under the hood just before the injection pump. So when I will start the engine, the oil will heat even after the heat exchanger. The cut off is at 160F. I can also flip the switch off whenever I want.
image.jpg (85.1 KiB) Viewed 483 times
image.jpg
A closer look of my fuel pick up made from black steel pipe. There is also a glow plug controled by the STC 1000 temperature controller and there is a termocouple for safety cut off then it's get too hot. The walbro FRB 5 fuel pump push the wvo to the pumps in the engine bay.
image.jpg (101.7 KiB) Viewed 483 times
Jpflyby

Re: My WVO system / want your feedback

Postby dragonfly » Fri May 08, 2015 11:55 pm

A line diagram of component layout would be helpful. No mention about solenoids to switch between D2 and VO; Heated VO fuel tank? How many plates is the FPHE; Glow plug to maintain heat in cold temps might last too long; Too many switches - KISS: Quite a small VO tank.
dragonfly

Postby SunWizard » Sat May 09, 2015 7:47 am

The glow plug will probably burn and polymerize the WVO since they get too hot in a tiny area (too high of watt density), so make sure to have a chunk catching filter after it. This has been a problem for the vegtherm which spreads the heat over a larger area. And the tiny amount of heat it provides is not needed, a FPHE will provide more than enough heat and is perfectly regulated to the right temps.

I agree that seeing a diagram is important.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Jpflyby » Sun May 10, 2015 8:25 pm

Ok, thanks for the comments, I will povide you soon a diagram. I have begin the installation. Did the coolant plumbing and solve the bleeding of the air this morning. I will do a short video eventualy to show you the progress as well.

For the glow plug situation, it is only for the first 5-10 minutes after the engine start. I have include a temperature probe in the piping just on top of the glow plug. I can decide the temperature at witch it will stop the heating relay, let say 70 degree Celcius or 160F. Will be place after the FPHE (30 plates with insulation). And just befor the injection pump, I will have a filter as well

The tank has about 60 liters / 15 US gal capacity. First I wanted to intall it into the spare tire compartment but I change my mind, so I'm planing to build a new one , rectangular this time so wont use to much space in the truck, about the same capacity.

Jp
Jpflyby

Postby dragonfly » Wed May 20, 2015 11:38 am

A few observations: Switch to VO when the engine coolant is up to temp - the hotter the better. My MB SDL has an 82C thermostat (180F). There will be a temp drop of about 10F of the VO to the IP. Consider changing VO fuel filter head to incorporate the small VW FPHE. Helps to dissolve fats that might be in the VO and increases the filter's life. Don't know how hot the electric heating blanket wrap on the VO filter and will be hard to change - remove blanket then reattaching it. How is the blanket's heat controlled?
dragonfly

Postby Jpflyby » Wed May 20, 2015 7:42 pm

Ok so I have listen some of the previous comments and decide to remove the glow plug heater just before the Injection pump. I will wait the temp instead. The switch who was suppose to power the glow plug relays will be use instead for a small selenoid to keep my engine little bit more at high Idle when cold or when I leave the engine running for a while.

The heated blanket Is control by a switch install in the grey box and gets warm enough and the coolant go thru the filter head. The elctrical system has 6 relays total, but 2 are not used now because I have cancelled the glow plug system for now.. they can be use for something else later. Everything is fused 15 amps. Since two weeks, I have done the coolant circuit mods, install the 2 x 3 way valves , and plug my new fuel/wvo line to the valves, now just have to do the loop return manual valve , some fine tunning and clean the engine and other parts under the hood so it's nice and clean. Will have to get a rectangular tank also... I started to fly a lot lately so not much time.. Means also I drive a lot for work since the airport is at 70 miles from home , so I can't wait to get it running on wvo...

Pics/video will come soon

JpFlyby
Jpflyby

Postby dragonfly » Sat May 23, 2015 11:30 am

Noticed from your location you are in a cold climate. The picture you posted doesn't show an in-tank-heat exchanger. I'd strongly suggest a Hose-on Hose (HOH) or a Hose-in-Hose (HIH). IMHO, the HIH system offers the quickest heat transfer to the VO. For the HIH, use a good grade 3/4" radiator hose and a 3/8" aluminum tubing. I've run both in past installations HIH and HOH. Another item that I'd suggest is the Mercedes Benz Aux water pump #0008356964 to help pump engine coolant to heat the VO in the aluminum fuel line and the fuel tank. Install the pump with the ignition switch. By doing so, the VO fuel pump will last longer pumping warm VO rather than cold VO. The more heat retained by the VO BEFORE it meets the FPHE, the faster switch over to VO. I'll send a HIH parts list if interested. I change out to a higher temp thermostat.
dragonfly

Postby John Galt » Sat May 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Use insulated HOH not HIH. HIH uses many more components, is much more expensive, offers very little if any advantage over HOH, and when the aluminum tube core eventually cracks and breaks where it enters the terminal connection the mix of antifreeze and UVO will totally screw up the IP. HIH is old technology, a properly sized and properly connected FPHE makes it unnecessary. That's also why it's important to place the FPHE on it's own parallel coolant loop, do NOT place it in series coolant flow with the other UVO heaters. If the FPHE is properly connected then the HIH becomes an unnecessary complication that will disastrously fail.

I refuse to argue the pros and cons of HIH vs HOH, since it's always with people who made the commitment to HIH and series coolant flow and are unwilling to accept that the technology has advanced.
John Galt

Postby Jpflyby » Sun May 24, 2015 4:59 am

Good day,

I have a HOH with plumbing insulation... I did not want cross contamination. Also a wallbro pump in the back to push the oil.
I hope I can do my first try on my system today. I have tested the fuel pump before this winter by making a close circuit to the tank. Every thing work fine.

2 days ago I've install the loop return. Any comment about that? I don't want mixing wvo into the diesel tank or diesel filter, so that's why I have deceide to go with the loop. I plug that bolt on the fuel filter so it does not allow the wvo to go to the diesel filter. I did a test drive after that. I saw some bulbles of air in the transparent fuel line that I have install. I have conclud that my fuel tank was almost empty so it was breathing air from the tank.

Anyone has notice a lost of power because of the loop return, in the " go back to the tank position " ( injection pump starvation under high demand )... After refuelling, every thing was fine, no more bubbles.

And forgot to mention that the car wont be use in the winter time... Will go to sleep in the barn... To much salt on the road ...

I will take some picture today and post it here...

Jp
Jpflyby

Postby Jpflyby » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:51 pm

Well I tought I would do an update on that projet.

I have been running the system for two summer now, 2015-16. I did change my wvo tank for a barrel type, then again for a 15 gal marine tank . Did some upgrade of fuel line under the hood but that was easy.

I drive about 60 miles back and forth to work and I can tell you that I like the smell of wvo , and the saving in cost of fuel that comes with it. It wont be until the end of the 4 th season of wvo use that I will meet my payback. ( Benz300sd + wvo kit + centrifuge )

Since my benz comes from Texas, I don't drive it in the hard canadian winters and salty road. I just bought a mint 2002 gmc Duramax instead that I will convert next summer.

Voila!

JpFlyby
Jpflyby

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion