Ideas needed for physically collecting oil from restaurants

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Ideas needed for physically collecting oil from restaurants

Postby leafylief » Wed May 20, 2015 12:05 pm

Reposted from beginner section:
Hello. New member here. I've purchased a used 2-tank conversion kit, and I've found some restaurants that would like me to collect their WVO. A couple will just refill their 35lb containers and I just pick those up. However, I believe one would like me to leave a 55gallon drum and pick that up when it fills.

I've got some ideas, I'd be interested in the set ups that other people have.

1) 55 gallon drum with a spigot. I'd put the drum on some pallets, install a spigot, and come by with smaller 5 gallon buckets.
pros: I would only need 1 55g drum, and I wouldn't have to worry about a pump. Cons: it may leak.

2) 55 gallon drum with a hand pump. Will this work? I've seen some decent pumps for around $50, with claims that they can handle the viscosity of WVO.

3) Electric pump. Not sure what ot look for. But with either a hand or electric pump, I would have a series of 55g drums.

3) Series of smaller buckets. Seems easier for these to be stolen, but a lot easier to transport.
leafylief

Re: Ideas needed for physically collecting oil from restaura

Postby dragonfly » Sat May 23, 2015 2:22 pm

I've been collecting WVO for 10 yrs. One restaurant puts WVO back in the cubbies. I have placed an open top/rain cap 55 gal drum and placed them outside at each restaurants. I use the FillRite 12 VDC pump ($130 with shut off nozzle, self priming) powered by a small 12 Volt car battery. To draw the WVO out of the 55, I use a 3/4" PVC pipe, and two 90 elbows, and a PVC union. When all glued together it will look like the letter "J". Flip it over and the "J" forms a hook to be placed over the edge of the 55. Cut the PVC pipe long enough to reach about 6" off the bottom. Unscrew the PVC union and glue one half on the suction side of the pump and the other side to the "J" pipe. I made a plywood box that contains the 12 Volt battery, FillRite pump, suction and discharge hoses, paper towels, rubber gloves and plastic bags. An oversized fiberglass or aluminum window screen is placed over the top of the drum to catch the chunks of food. Bungies are used to hold the oversized screen to the sides of the 55. An ABS rain hat ($28) keeps the rain out of the WVO. I bring several cubbies that fill. Two at a time are placed on a collapsible cart and hauled to the trk. for transport back to the CF cleaning room. The cart is used to haul the box around. A battery charger keeps the car battery charged up for the next pick up.
dragonfly

Re: collecting oil from restaurants

Postby John Galt » Sat May 23, 2015 4:49 pm

I've been collecting UVO from restaurants for about 10 years. I only collect from those who put the UVO back into the 'cubie' jugs. Messing around with drums full of oil is a hassle and there is always a lot of spillage and mess around the drums. The restaurants that put it back into cubies are more responsible, and create a better quality UVO. They call me on the morning they empty the oil and I come by to pick-up that day.
John Galt

Postby leafylief » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:18 am

Thanks, I do a lot of that. I also ended up purchasing a rotary pump.
leafylief

Postby thangwook » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:53 pm

I know this thread is old but I wanted to throw in my idea for people who just started with WVO like me.

I collect my WVO in 5 gallon paint buckets. Every weekend I go to my source and replace the full buckets with empty ones. No hassle of pumps or spills; just some nitrile gloves and maybe a rag. The empty buckets have about 1 lb of baking soda each. The restaurant dumps the oil into the buckets straight from the fryer. By the time i pick up the oil, everything has mixed and settled to the bottom. I pour the clear oil into my cold upflow and process.
2006 VW Jetta TDI
thangwook

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering