Help with assembling Onboard Centrifuge

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Help with assembling Onboard Centrifuge

Postby turbovan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:25 pm

hello all, i had to finnaly join because i have been lurking for far too long. ive read a lot of old post, and have learned a lot from this group!

ok - im setting up an on board centriuge on my Ford van with 6.9 diesel. im using a honda steering pump from the yard, and an old Spinner II Centrifuge from a big rig. I have the parts mocked up and now ive come to some questions.
First is this, my engine spins the opposite direction than the honda did, so having my pump mounted to the engine in a standard way is going to sping the pump backwards. What happends then? im sure it will work to some extent but am i going to get the pressure up to 90+ psi in reverse?

Another question i had was for anyone who has ever used a PSP, what or how do you connect to the high pressure line? Ive seen a lot of hose clamps in pictures, does that seem to hold the pressure? ive also seen some people weld a fitting to the pressure pipe, and plumb from there, who has the best answer for this- hose clamps or not?

Now with the spinner II model, it does not have an open bottom like a Dieselcraft, its an enclosed unit with a discharge tube, has anyone had much experience with these and are they good for removing water?

Ive planned on plumbing in some quick connects in hopes of using the onboard pump to collect from dumpsters, and also pump out to another container. Can someone confirm the possibility of this actually working as a collection unit?

this vehicle has a two tank system already, and ive ran plenty of veg through the engine with just an extra filter and a FPHE. however im stepping up with this, to collect and filter all onboard, and use the engine to do all the work instead of electric pumps ect. ive been reading a lot on the dieselcraft holy grail post, but at 178+ pages, im still in 2007 so to speak. so im sorry if all of these questions have been answered or discussed before i havent been fully caught up.

thanks,
turbovan
1984 ford e-250 home built campervan 6.9L w Banks turbo
Working towards onboard centrifuge
turbovan

Re: Help with assembling Onboard Centrifuge

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:44 pm

turbovan wrote:First is this, my engine spins the opposite direction than the honda did, so having my pump mounted to the engine in a standard way is going to sping the pump backwards. What happends then? im sure it will work to some extent but am i going to get the pressure up to 90+ psi in reverse?

I don't know but you could test it with the pump chucked in a drill.
Another question i had was for anyone who has ever used a PSP, what or how do you connect to the high pressure line? Ive seen a lot of hose clamps in pictures, does that seem to hold the pressure? ive also seen some people weld a fitting to the pressure pipe, and plumb from there, who has the best answer for this- hose clamps or not?

Clamps worked for me over a barbed brass fittng. Without barbs it would probably come off.
Now with the spinner II model, it does not have an open bottom like a Dieselcraft, its an enclosed unit with a discharge tube, has anyone had much experience with these and are they good for removing water?

The bottom of a dieselcraft is still sort of like a tube, the trick is having a short tube so vapor can escape and not condense again on cooler surfaces.
Ive planned on plumbing in some quick connects in hopes of using the onboard pump to collect from dumpsters, and also pump out to another container. Can someone confirm the possibility of this actually working as a collection unit?

That would be fairly slow at about 2 gpm, but if you are willing to wait it would work. It also could be a problem if you get chunks since gear pumps don't like debris, and a filter fine enough to protect the pump (20 micron) would clog quickly. Its better to use a pump that can handle chunks like a trash pump. Also you have the problem of cross-contamination if you use the same pump and/or hoses for dirty and clean WVO.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby turbovan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks for the reply! I figure that collecting with this might be a slow process but I figured that my HF 12 pump with a big spin on filter doesn't go much faster it wouldn't kill me. I'm sure I'll have more question for you soon, thanks again
turbovan

Postby David » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:03 am

You'll go nuts hanging round with a pump that slow. You think you'll be patient but trust me, after maybe the first 2 times You'll either go nuts or just won't collect oil you have to pump.

Have a look at this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fkBIYcT6j8U/mqdefault.jpg

MUCH faster, cheap and easy to build and will suck the tar off the road on a hot day.

With your PS pump, running it backwards will depend on the valving, if any. Usually it's contained in the pumps and may have a one way valve built in. Using it for a collection pump may also cause it to block up very quickly unless this valve is removed or located elsewhere in the system so the pump doesn't have it. But that's the more unlikely scenario.

Building yourself a faster, portable pump will save you a lot of frustration wasted time, no 2 ways about that.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby turbovan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Ya i agree fully david. As ive colledted all my oil with a 12v habor frieght pump with usually about a half clogged filter on it. Ive spent an hour pumping plentry of times. But as this is on my camper van, i can usually time my pumping time around dinner time or taking a break time. Either way, yes its always been slow for me and im not sure what id do with 10gpm.

A quick update, i got the system all plumped up today and mouted everything, attempting to run the honda pump backwards and got around 25 psi at the head of the Spinner II. I was going to attempt to modify this pump to do better but it seemed the shaft seal was not having any of the reverse spinning either and decided to fling oil all over. I think im going to coninue my experiment with a little dodge PSP like sunwizard did in the begining. I think it spins clockwise. (I do realize its a vane pump).
turbovan

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering