fat that settles after filtering

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

fat that settles after filtering

Postby slash » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:19 am

wvo-fat.jpg
wvo-fat.jpg (157.99 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Do you guys use the fat in your tanks that settles are the bottom of your supply tank?

I pumped some wvo after I filtered it into a cubie and attached a picture.
You can see the fat that settles.

Should I re-filter this wvo?

Does this clog the heated filter in your vehicle?

I have heated lines so I'm not sure if this causes an increase in fuel pressure while going through my car wvo filter.

Thanks for any advice info.

Slash
slash

Re: fat that settles after filtering

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:16 am

Thats not fat, its PHO which is the most common WVO around here. I have burned 100's of gallons of PHO where the entire barrel looks like what is on the bottom. PHO is harder to get dewatered fully so you need good testing for water. You must have enough heat in filter and lines so it doesnt clog anywhere. I only use it during the summer since its so thick it won't pump from storage to fill my truck in winter.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: fat that settles after filtering

Postby David » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:27 am

I'm not sure what the technical term is but I get loads of that stuff in winter.

I have found that by Drying the oil ( I heat and aerate) that much of this " substance" is converted to oil which stays liquid. I believe in part, a large part in the oil I have collected, this stuff is more like Mayonaise and the water can be driven off leaving much more clear oil

That said, in the cold weather even after a through drying, some of this whiter stuff may still settle out but it seems to take much longer. I usually shake the drum up to blend it in and it goes though quite happily once dried.
It DOES hold a lot of water if not processed however. I once put a drum of the stuff in my tank I hot filtered but not dried and had a load of trouble. It was going though to the IP all right, it was just that the stuff was so wet the thing had no power to speak of. I blended in some diesel and clear oil and it worked its way though but the stuff sure was moisture laden!

What I do in the winter is Filter and dry my oil then put it in 200L drums to settle this stuff out again. I take the nice crystal clear oil off the top and the little bit of fats/ whatever that remain will clear up once the warmer weather comes.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering