1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins conversion-Arkansas

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins conversion-Arkansas

Postby Banjoman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:30 pm

Greetings guys....I was a member of this great forum several years ago when I was converting my '98 Dodge to WVO. I always meant to post some photos of my project, but procrastinated too long. A year ago last May my truck caught fire and burned up along with my carport.
I have just finished converting my new 1997 truck and would like to share a few of the things I did. Basically it is the same as Sunwizard's and Mike Belden's, with a few exceptions. I used solenoid valves from Greasecar--they seem to be the best. They are mounted to a stainless steel plate that is bolted on to the valve covers where the CUMMINS plate used to be. Instead of Mike's somewhat complicated water system, I hooked my FPHE right to the line that comes off the engine to the heater. From there the water goes into a 1" PEX line that takes the water back to the tank. When the hot water gets back there it goes into the water jacket that surrounds the Racor 1000FH filter. No greasy wrap of heater lines here! I will post more about the water jacket later.
I put the sending unit for a digital oil temp gauge in the line between the FPHE and the IP. After putting in a 192 degree thermostat my WVO temp runs 161 to 170 degrees....just right. I'm going to try to post some photos. Wish me luck!
I tried loading photos but it says the file is too big. Any ideas?
Banjoman
Old-Time musician
1992 Dodge Cummins
1985 MB 300TD
1997 Dodge Cummins
Banjoman

Re: 1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins conversion-Arkansas

Postby Banjoman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:55 pm

I'm back! I drove my truck around locally for a week after I finished the conversion, then my wife and I took off on a 3600 mile road trip: Arkansas to North Carolina to Philadelphia and then a thousand mile trek on the turnpike to Western Wisconsin, then back to Arkansas. I took 150 gallons of filtered veg with me and I must say that the truck ran like a top the whole way. I ran out of veg in Missouri on the way home and had to burn one tank of Diesel. The only problem I had, and I found it even before I left, is that when I switch the return valve after the D/WVO valve it blows out the gasket on the lid of my Racor filter. This was not a problem with my last truck, so I assume there is some sort of check valve in this Racor that prevents back flushing. This is kind of a problem because it prevents me from purging the return line to keep from sending the grease in it back to the diesel tank. I still would like to upload photos of my system. Can anyone give me some advise?
Banjoman
Old-Time musician
1992 Dodge Cummins
1985 MB 300TD
1997 Dodge Cummins
Banjoman

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database