WVO to avoid

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

WVO to avoid

Postby 7.3dieselMike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:56 am

o I've been picking up WVO in cubbies from a source for about a year now. After the last pickup, when I got home, I noticed that the WVO label was different & had some things printed on it that concerned me:

"Clear Liquid Vegetable Frying Shortening
Ingredients: Soybean oil, TBHQ, and citric acid added to help preserve freshness, dimethylpolysiloxane
Total Fat 14g 22%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g"

Is this oil OK?

What WVO, if any, do you avoid & why?

What WVO do you prefer to burn & why?
7.3dieselMike

Re: WVO to avoid

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Yes those are added in tiny amounts to most brands of oil, and have been proven to extend the life of the oil. They have been in nearly all the WVO I have used for 10 years, and probably are in most people's WVO whether they know it or not.
They are much more help than harm.

The WVO I avoid is when it smells bad or like paint, since that means it got poly or microbes in it.

I like canola the best since it has a lower cloud temp making it easier for winter use, and it doesn't form poly nearly as much as soy.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby 7.3dieselMike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:53 pm

What's poly?
7.3dieselMike

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:22 pm

SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby 7.3dieselMike » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of this issue. I'm going to start rethinking a few of my WVO storing, settling & filtering methods now.

"BE30's active ingredient is 30% TBHQ. Its effectiveness is the same or slightly better than TBHQ alone since it also has 1.5% citric acid which slows copper and iron from accelerating poly. These are the same 2 chemicals they add to most new SVO as an antioxidant. All the cubies around here have those on the labels."

So according to this post, these ingredients are one preventative measure against polymerization?
7.3dieselMike

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Yes, thats why I say they are more help than harm, and they cost extra, so thats better WVO.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby 7.3dieselMike » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:48 am

I've read a lot and seen a lot of videos on WVO in the past 4 years, but I never came across this polymerization concern. This WVO stuff, like most things in life actually, really does seem to be like a never ending learning curve, hahaha!

"Brass, bronze, copper, lead, tin, and zinc may accelerate the oxidation of diesel and biodiesel fuels and potentially create fuel insolubles (sediments) or gels and salts when reacted with some fuel components. Lead solders and zinc linings should be avoided, as should copper pipes, brass regulators, and copper fittings. The fuel or fittings will tend to change color and insolubles may plug fuel filters. Affected equipment should be replaced with stainless steel, carbon steel, or alumininum.
I have found that brass fittings like valves are OK where they aren't exposed to any oxygen. I have seen brass and copper inside fuel tanks create a mess of poly buildup (ask a Greasecar owner if they ever looked at their tranny cooler dipped into their hot VO tank after a year.)
"

So I do have one brass piece in my entire setup. It's a brass hose bibb that I have after the final stage in my filtration system. It's used to transfer WVO filtered to 1 micron to my clean carboys that use to fill my vehicle's WVO tank. This is the only time that I can think of that my WVO touches brass.
Is this something I should be concerned with?
Should I replace it with a PVC or stainless steel bibb?

Also, on the topic of microbes, does anyone here use a biocide like Kill-Em https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/biocide.php ?
If so, how & where do you apply it? Quantities? Tanks? Carboys?
7.3dieselMike

Postby SunWizard » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:25 pm

7.3dieselMike wrote:So I do have one brass piece in my entire setup. It's a brass hose bibb that I have after the final stage in my filtration system. It's used to transfer WVO filtered to 1 micron to my clean carboys that use to fill my vehicle's WVO tank. This is the only time that I can think of that my WVO touches brass.
Is this something I should be concerned with?
Should I replace it with a PVC or stainless steel bibb?

Thats probably no problem since its not in contact with it for long.
Also, on the topic of microbes, does anyone here use a biocide like Kill-Em https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/biocide.php ?
If so, how & where do you apply it? Quantities? Tanks? Carboys?

Never used, I simply avoid WVO that bad.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering