tankless water heater

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

tankless water heater

Postby flysurge » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:29 am

anyone try to use a tankless water heater for their filtring/centrifuge setups?? I may have the chance to grab one or two coming out of houses that are being demoed.
flysurge

Postby SunWizard » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:50 am

No but I use a propane powered one in my house as a backup to the solar hot water. It works great, and should work good for heating VO.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Burbarian » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Used an electric tankless shower head for years on a site trailer. Those things are great for getting hot (or at least warm) water anywhere there is electricity. If you have propane, it would be more cost effective. By all means, get the salvage ones before they are destroyed by careless demolition and chucked into a waste dumpster. They have thermal regulation and cut off when there is insufficient flow or when the heat exceeds a certain limit. You may want to disable the anti-scald sensor to heat your oil up to greater than bathwater temps though.
Burbarian

Postby PSeyle » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:32 am

Check your particular model, but Household tankless usually don't heat more than 140F. Commercial units have heavier gauge exchangers and often can heat to 180f.

Also watch out for copper since you're using it with VO.

On a side note - Tankless are wonderful for home use.
-Preston
PSeyle

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion