How and where to mount temerature and vacuum sensors

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

How and where to mount temerature and vacuum sensors

Postby MrkiMedo » Wed May 18, 2016 7:51 am

Hello,

how are usually temperature or vacuum sensors mounted on the fuel or cooling lines? Inline (but how), or perhaps in T placed for that purpose or in some other way. Any pictures of how you have installed them would be great!

I am thinking of sprinkling those sensors in more than one place, and reading them with arduino. Also any advice on good probes to use with electric read would be very helpful.
MrkiMedo

Re: How and where to mount temerature and vacuum sensors

Postby SunWizard » Wed May 18, 2016 8:02 am

I like the temp sensor in a T located just before the IP. One trick is to use the right size tee that extends the end of the sensor into the flow. I put the pressure sensor in another T in the same spot (I don't have vacuum anywhere.)

I have found the temp sensor to be redundant, since it always reads about 10F less than my coolant.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby MrkiMedo » Wed May 18, 2016 8:22 am

SunWizard wrote:I like the temp sensor in a T located just before the IP. One trick is to use the right size tee that extends the end of the sensor into the flow. I put the pressure sensor in another T in the same spot (I don't have vacuum anywhere.)

I have found the temp sensor to be redundant, since it always reads about 10F less than my coolant.

what are the typical pressure reading you get at that spot? if your filter is getting clogged do you notice on that pressure gauge?

as for temperature sensor, I would also like my temp sensor to be redundant since it would imply that everything is going well :)
MrkiMedo

Postby SunWizard » Wed May 18, 2016 9:05 am

MrkiMedo wrote:what are the typical pressure reading you get at that spot? if your filter is getting clogged do you notice on that pressure gauge?

I usually read about 30 psi, and yes its very obvious since the pressure drops to about 5psi when floored long (1000 miles) before its clogged to the point of noticing power loss, which gives plenty of warning.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion