Starting out simply(and cheap)

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Starting out simply(and cheap)

Postby andrewh » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:02 pm

1st post here,

I would like to try running a blend in my truck ('93 Chevy 6.5turbo). I must admit, however, that my budget is extremely limited and I would like to start with a simple setup and see how it goes. My thinking: A seperate plastic marine tank in the bed and maybe some manual valves to reroute the flow from one tank to another. Then if for some reason it doesn't seem to be working out, I'm not out very much time and money.

Any thoughts, suggestions, links(if somebody else has tried this)?

As far as what blend I might use, well, I've read many, so I guess I'll just have to pick one and start from there.
Andrew
andrewh

Postby andrewh » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:15 pm

Maybe I dindn't ask a clear enough question.

Is this simple approach worth trying, or if I am going to try running a vo blend, should I be willing to jump into deeper( ie spend more, buy a kit, etc.

Any input from folks who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated. I know that sometimes it takes money to save money and I'm not sure how far to go while determining if I want to go all the way.

Thanks for your help.
Andrew
andrewh

Postby SunWizard » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:46 pm

The IP in your truck is the weak point, and why I would not recommend blending in that model. I don't know anyone blending in those, and that is probably why you got no answer. It may be possible, but deciding what % blend would be tricky since your climate and VO type changes the answers.

A heated 2 tank rig would pay for its cost quickly depending on how long of trips you do and how many miles per year. And even going that route you need to be careful.

You are smart to be asking questions instead of just dumping some VO in your tank.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby 240Volvo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:51 pm

I have no experience with your vehicle, but a single tank system must only be used in a vehicle for which it is appropriate. You might do some research by checking with some of the manufacturers like Elsbett and Plantdrive to see if they offer a one tank kit for your specific vehicle. Then you need to do some research on what people have done with that engine and IP, and what the problems that they encountered were.

You really should not experiment on this until you know more. Just because a blend works on an unmodified 85 Mercedes does not mean that it won't prove to be catastrophic for your vehicle.

I don't mean to discourage you from using WVO as fuel in your vehicle, only to caution you to do it on an informed basis that will give you a high chance for a successful outcome. All of this is to some degree experimental, so one must take whatever time that it takes to make an educated and well informed decision.

Before a vehicle can be considered a candidate for VO, it must be proven to be in good condition. The injectors all need to be clean and fully functional, and the pop pressure needs to be set properly. The glow plugs all need to be working. You will need to modify the change interval of your lube oil, switch to a true synthetic oil, and have it tested at regular intervals.

A one tank system needs to provide some heating to the VO fuel. This requires modification. The VO fuel must be clean and tested to prove that it is dry before it enters your tank. That is just a start. The specific needs of your engine (and the particulars of its model year often matter) will dictate the options.

Good luck!
1984 Volvo 240 diesel with a single tank Elsbett conversion: electric fuel filter heater, FPHE, glow plugs, and injectors. Also injector line heaters and block heater, running 20%kero/80%WVO winter blend.
240Volvo

Postby andrewh » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks for the input!

Sunwizard, when you say that the IP is the weak link as far as blending goes, is that due to the viscosity of the potential blend still being higher than petrodiesel or are there other reasons.

240Volvo, the fella at SSDiesel Parts already has recommended that I replace my injectors. The injectors in the truck are original w/210K on them. Any tips on a good place to get a good price on a set? Marine or stock?

I will continue to do more research on the idea.

Anybody out there running VO successfully in a Chevy 6.5T w/mech. IP? I'd love to hear from you.
Andrew
andrewh

Postby SunWizard » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:13 pm

If you look in the 2 tank section here there are some running that engine.

That IP has several issues that can make it fail quickly. Higher viscosity, suspended microscopic water or too fast of temperature change.

I wouldn't do marine injectors if you want to run WVO, since excess fueling can lead to big damage, see these threads here:
People who damaged their engines and how?
Polymerization in WVO
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending