Redneck vehicle AC/install Window AC and Genset -vs- Typical

Its like a chat room. This is where your post gets moved if you get too far off topic.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Redneck vehicle AC/install Window AC and Genset -vs- Typical

Postby coachgeo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:55 pm

first... WHAT's UP. Sun how are you? How's the Veg world? Folk in here are smart and at times will explore outside the box thus I'm bringing my questions to you guys my old friends. (and maybe some new ones)

. Vehicle needs TWO AC's. One in Truck Cab and one in Camper mounted on back.
. Truck gets about 7mpg (BIG TRUCK X military slowly getting turned into Expedition Camper - 1995 LMTV)
. Already own a Diesel Genset... 5000 watt/6000 surge yanmar. Will be installing it anyway
. Already Own a Window AC... but New portalbe type probably better. Runs say $500
. There is room in cab to mount a Window or Portable AC ( You might call it a King Cab. Not quite a Double Cab.)
. No one rides in camper when driving. (It's planned to be hard side pop up. only extra small midget could fit inside when in down position)
. Portable unit run off Genset install obviously far less complex to install compared to adding engine powered AC, blower, compressor, New Pulley, brackets, belts etc etc.

So redneck/out of box thinking... the newer Portable AC's or Window AC

. Mount in cab with appropriate brackets (Portable AC needs only 4" hole in cab wall for Air)
. Venting to blow air at occupants only instead of trying to cool whole cab
. At Campsite remove the Portable Unit and put in raised camper.
. Operate off Genset when camping AND when driving

How large/small portable/window AC could one get to end up burning no more fuel from genset (maybe even less) than burning additional fuel from a compressor mounted on a CAT 3116 engine.

Any Ideas?
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Re: Redneck vehicle AC/install Window AC and Genset -vs- Typ

Postby coachgeo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Well I'll be damn. It aint so redneck no more.

http://www.climaterightair.com/products ... eater.html

coachgeo

Postby coachgeo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:47 pm

hmmm..... then there is 12v that can later be changed to solar and/or Wind

https://www.practicalpreppers.com/onlin ... -a-c-units

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:06 pm

coachgeo wrote:hmmm..... then there is 12v that can later be changed to solar and/or Wind

That one is not 12 volt, its 110VAC, 1100 watts, at least it is more efficient than most. I think an engine mounted AC will be much more efficient than a window mounted + genset since it only adds a small load compared to the large engine. This avoids the losses of generating the power and then the window unit running an electric motor to turn the shaft of compressor (>70% lost).
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:21 pm

SunWizard wrote:
coachgeo wrote:hmmm..... then there is 12v that can later be changed to solar and/or Wind

That one is not 12 volt, its 110VAC, 1100 watts, at least it is more efficient than most. I think an engine mounted AC will be much more efficient than a window mounted + genset since it only adds a small load compared to the large engine. This avoids the losses of generating the power and then the window unit running an electric motor to turn the shaft of compressor (>70% lost).
oops my bad... the "v12" fooled me. Didn't realize the conversion of power from the engine to electric motor got that much loss.

Hmmm... what about setting up the dual cylinder diesel of the Genset to spin the pump direct? Could find a way to swap belts orr? between genset head and AC pump. hmmm. Not having too buy two different AC units is one reason why not go convetional Auto AC.. and other is cost. BIG one is cost.

coachgeo

Return to Off topic banter