Jello Oil

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Jello Oil

Postby thangwook » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:01 pm

I picked up some WVO from a food truck vendor who said the WVO has been settled for over a year. one of the cubies had WVO with the consistency of jello. it was still clear and yellow but it was jello-like. what is it and is it ok to burn? Please help.
2006 VW Jetta TDI
thangwook

Re: Jello Oil

Postby SunWizard » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:30 am

Hi, thats probably PHO, discussed on many threads here since its very common, about half the WVO I burn is PHO like jello:
fat that settles after filtering
Did we pick up some PHO?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby thangwook » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks for responding!

I have read those threads but it didnt look like anything described in those threads. Not cloudy and not settled to the bottom. It was jello-like, clear, and still suspended. I only noticed it when I was pouring into my top bucket for my cold-upflow system. I touched it and it was breaks apart. I wished I took a picture of its at the bottom of cold-up flow barrel now. I forgot to mention that I collected the WVO in cubies. I brought it home poured the top off into a 5 gallon bucket discarding the gunk at the bottom. I mixed about 1 lb of baking soda and let it settle for another 2 days then I poured it in the cold-up flow.
2006 VW Jetta TDI
thangwook

Postby SunWizard » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:07 pm

I have never seen anything like that, and it could be something very bad and clog filters if its thick as jello, so I would not use that WVO. Just hope it didnt contaminate the whole barrel. Does it melt and dissappear into the oil when heated?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby thangwook » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm kinda antsy to hear that you've never seen or heard of it. There was no bad smell. I'll try to pump out the bottom of the barrel hoping to catch some of this stuff so I can share with you guys. I know for sure when I poured it into the 5 gallon bucket to mix with baking soda, it was all liquid. Also, weather last this past week in Moreno Valley, CA has been in the 80s so it cant be gelling due to temperature. Will keep you posted.
2006 VW Jetta TDI
thangwook

Postby thangwook » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:48 pm

Update.

Pumped the bottom of the barrel out and nothing. Every thing was liquid. If it happens again, I will surely take a pic.
2006 VW Jetta TDI
thangwook

Postby thangwook » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:17 pm

**UPDATE**

Somehow I was able to duplicate this again. I received a 5 gallon bucket of vegetable oil from a neighbor who used it to fry their turkey. The oil I got was still clear yellow and everything else settled to the bottom. I poured the good oil into another bucket and mixed it with 1 scoop (~1 lb) of baking soda and let it settle for 1 week. The jello substance came back! i took a bunch of pictures but you cant really see the jello. the oil is clear with a layer of baking soda at the bottom.

i dont get this jello effect with the WVO (soy) i pick up at my source. The WVO from my source is dark amber. it doesnt have jello when it's mixed with baking soda. seems like this only happens to oil that is barely used or maybe this doesnt happen with soy oil. Seems like it would still burn. I'll filter it and see how it'll burn in my next oil fill up. will keep you guys posted.
2006 VW Jetta TDI
thangwook

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering