Have CF and still getting sediment please help me!!!

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Have CF and still getting sediment please help me!!!

Postby fro10987 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:32 pm

My setup includes a FF60LE Centrifuge. After running my oil for more than 4 hours on 50 gal I still get sediment in the bottom of a test bottle.
My method is to heat the oil in a 55 gal drum to 150-175 degrees for 12-24 hours then allow it to cool and settle for at least 24 hours. I then use a pump with clear tubing to pump the oil from the top into a 100 micron strainer/filter that sits atop my CF barrel. I pump the oil from the barrel as long as I can see through the oil and do not see any trails which I have decided is probably water or moisture either way that is when I stop usually about 3/4 of the barrel mabye 7/8 on a good day (oil is usually warmed to just under 100 degrees right now as it is winter and cold just to help flow). I then run the CF setup which is a copy cat of Sunwizards design with the addition of a band heater to help get the oil hot. The oil will the run for 4-6 hours with a stop about every 1.5 hours to check and clean the CF the oil will usually get to 200-210 degrees (read by a infared thermoometer) . I usually stop when there is nothing to clean out of the CF. I will then either add straight to truck tank or add to 275 gal tote storage tank. Just for giggles I thought I would divert a sample into a clear jug to see how it looked. Obviously while it was hot if looked clear and all good. however when it cooled to the 30-35 degrees of the shop it was cloudy. So I took the sample indoors and allowed it to set at 70 degrees room temp for 2 days and I got some stuff settled to the bottom. but the oil on the top looks very clear as I expected the entire bottle to be. My sample bottle is a 32oz bottle filled with about 24oz of oil and of the 24 oz I would say that there is 2-3 oz of sediment on the bottom white to gray in color. Am I missing a step or just not running the CF long enough or is the oil I am getting that bad? I have neeb getting oil lately from the local church fish frys. I am still working on mastering the Hot pan test but it seems unless I shake the sample up the oil would stay on the top showing a clean HPT test as the water appears to have settled out. For now I am going to just take from the top of my final tote and rerun through the CF just to try to make sure anything left will have hopefully settled out.
fro10987

Postby SunWizard » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:55 pm

The milky stuff at the bottom is probably PHO partially hydrogenated VO, or animal fats. See this thread:
You have white crap in the bottom of cubies and barrel?

It will burn fine if your entire fuel system is heated well enough. I use it about half the time. At 30F some kinds of non-PHO will start to cloud, see a chart here:
Comparing different VO types
Last edited by SunWizard on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby elvia » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:05 pm

I second what Sun said
Elvia
2000 F350 XL Utility Bed. Vegistroke V3
Nolatraveler.com
elvia

Postby fro10987 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:03 am

If it is partial Hydrogenated VO that would mean it contains water correct? It would seem a bad idea to burn this part then. youll have to forgive me I just replaced my IP and do not care to again real soon if I can help it.
So the little trails of white stuff I see when transfering the oil into my drum is not necessarily water that has settled out?

In your best guess if I run the oil at 200 + through the CF for 2-4 hours or until clean (catching the last bit at each shut down of course) I should be ok on the water issue. I will attempt the HPT again but as it is stated here and elsewhere there are possiblities of false positive and negatives.
fro10987

Postby SunWizard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:20 am

PHO doesn't mean it contains water. It can be dewatered just like any other VO. Little trails is probably PHO or fats as I said above.

Or at the 30F temp you are talking, many kinds of VO form trails and even an entire milky layer all on its own, its called the cloud point, see the link I referenced above.

You have to be really bad at doing the HPT to get false readings.

I would never guess about the water issue, you can't tell by time in the CF. Do a HPT.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering