cleaning out barrels and cubies

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

cleaning out barrels and cubies

Postby djenkins6 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:11 am

Ok, I give up on the environment friendly bit as there were no replies...

What do you guys use for cleaning dirt, grime, dirty wvo from cubies, barrels etc.
I want to reuse some cubies that had dirty vegetable oil in them to store my cleaned VO and don't want to recontaminate with the dregs that are left in the container.
David
djenkins6

Postby Johnno » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:59 am

Very hot water and glycerine from making biodiesel.
If that wont shift it NaOH will but it is dangerous to use unlike the glycerine.
Johnno
Johnno

Postby haroldcr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:26 am

Gasoline. Now, before y'all get too excited, things are different down here. We burn our household trash. We burn yard rakings and garden weeds. You can only compost so much, and stuff grows day and night, year round, here.

I have a portable sawmill, and do woodworking. I burn the planer shavings and small pieces of scrap wood.

Gasoline cleans out the cubies and small drums, and I then mix in a little used motor oil, and use that to start the fires. I clean the bag filters with it, also. Other motor oil is used to preserve ?? wooden posts when you set them. Posts GROW here, when you set them untreated :roll: A little goes a long ways.

Compared to the sugar cane field fires, what I do is nearly non existant. :roll:
Haroldcr
haroldcr

Postby hheynow » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:52 am

I never use used cubies for filtered de-watered oil. When I pick up oil (in cubies) there are always empty virgin cubies laying around that were never refilled with wvo. Those I do use for my good oil. I can't imagine getting a wvo cubie as clean as a new one.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Postby SunWizard » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:20 am

I agree with hheynow, plenty of virgin cubies.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby djenkins6 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:00 pm

I'll probably go from famine to feast at some point. Just getting started and the reataurants are using the same cubies the oil is delivered in for the used oil so none spare at the moment - guess I'll buy a gallon of gas and rinse a few.

David
djenkins6

Postby haroldcr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:19 pm

A half pint of gasoline would be plenty. Doesn't take much. Swish it around good, and then hot soapy water, then clean water, and put in the sun for a day.
Haroldcr
haroldcr

Postby David » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:03 pm

I have used and agree with all of the above.

Usually I use a strong soloution of KOH which is faster than glycerin but you have to be more careful with it. I have also just started using some petrol which is also very effictive. I have found the petrol can be poured from one tank to another many times and with a quick rinse with clean oil after to remove any specs, the drums come up well.

I normally have my " collection" drums and my "Fuel Quality" drums to save cleaning. There are times when I need more fuel quality drums than available at the time and need to clean some I have used for " dirty" oil.
Some drums will come up like new and some just won't. I usually look at the drums before I try to clean them and pick the ones with the least crap to start with.
Drying the drums can take a couple of days and they need to be rotated accordingly to get all the water out.

I find cleaning drums is more of a pain than filtering and drying so try to avoid it by re-using drums and keeping them seperate for each use. I get drums with different coloured lids as th ones I use have been originally for disinfectant, detergent or similar as we don't have "Cubees" the same as in the states.
I have also used coloured duct tape on the drums to differentiate between the different drums and what they are being used for.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby zoochy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:26 pm

djenkins6 wrote:I'll probably go from famine to feast at some point. Just getting started and the reataurants are using the same cubies the oil is delivered in for the used oil so none spare at the moment - guess I'll buy a gallon of gas and rinse a few.

David

It's not worth your time to be cleaning them out. Just empty them as best as you can and recycle it.

Hit up a resteraunt that has a grease dumpster for thier empty cubbies. Empty cubbies are everywhere once you start looking. The caps on the other hand....
91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine w/ a 300W ½” heated fuel line, lift pump, additional 10um fuel filter, and a 2nd diesel tank for starting.
>160,000 km on:
88% canola WVO
11% old gasoline
.6% turpentine
.3% acetone
.1% eye of newt
zoochy

Postby SkySkiJason » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:31 pm

HOT water is easiest/safest. Add some 'purple power' degreaser and you really get effective.

Diesel would be a LOT safer than gasoline! You could use the same gallon of diesel to clean dozens of cubies, then use it to start fires or whatever...
2001 F-350, DRW, 4x4, XLT Crew Cab, flat bed, 7.3, 6 spd, Dipricol Optix gauges, DP tunes - Single-Shot injectors! Vegistroke-style WVO conversion, 55,000 VO miles so far - 190 deg VO before the heads
SkySkiJason

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering