.5 Micron Filtering

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

.5 Micron Filtering

Postby justinlw » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:25 am

When using a .5 Micron Whole House filter to final clean Half PHO, Half Canola, Would heating be required? I have a whole house filter and a 1/2hp Water pump that handles 5 microns fine at over 70 degrees, just wondering how much more restriction the .5 micron would be. I'm just trying to keep from plugging my $30 truck filter again before I get a CF.

Thanks,
Justin
2004 F350, Custom Automated 2-Tank System
Houston, TX
justinlw

Postby SunWizard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:42 am

Yes heating is needed if the PHO is clouding at your temps. Whole house water filters often leak around the ends when used under pressure like you are, rendering them useless (and hard to detect.)
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby justinlw » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 am

So what would be the most efficient, simplest way to filter oil without a centrifuge? Pump through high flow baldwin filters? The oil passes a hot pan test pretty well. Just worried about filter plugging on the truck, since this will be fairly temporary. Right now, we run cold through a 5 micron filter into a tote to settle, then pump off of the top into the truck. I run a 3u filter on the truck because the 6 liter powerstrok doesn't take to well to particles in the injectors.
2004 F350, Custom Automated 2-Tank System
Houston, TX
justinlw

Postby SunWizard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:14 am

Any kind of diesel cartridge filter that is rated for the pressure, like these:
http://www.jmesales.com/item/110124/Cim ... -Kits.aspx
They sell a 2 micron element here:
http://www.jmesales.com/item/35561/Cim- ... lters.aspx
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:46 am

I'm a bit unsure now if you are referring to filtering in the processing stage or you are looking to put a water filter on your car.
In any event I have used the water filters with success but I find the trick to the water filters to be warm/hot filtering. The house filters have limited surface area which is easily blocked by fats. Friends who have used them for cold filtering have had unacceptably short life from them where I have been able to use them to filter over 1000L of oil.

I use a large Impeller pump and push the oil through the filter from my drying tank when it is around 40-50oC. The oil flows slower than with a 5Um filter for sure but not unacceptably so.

While .5 Micron filters probably sounds like overkill to most people, I did some reading up on filters and how they work and how they are rated. Given the way the filters are typically rated and the fact that the ones I get at least are cheapie ebay types that are odds on to have very liberal ratings anyway, I think the safe and sensible bet it to go for the lowest rated filters one can get to hedge the bets in the best possible direction.

I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if the real absolute filtering I achieve with these filters is 3 or even 5 micron but that would be the absolute rating of all the oil, not just a 70% rating with a lot of crap still in it that was a lot larger than that. This I believe is fine enough for the majority of the remaining particles to pass through my OEM filters and the rest of the system without causing any harm. I also believe that the bulk of my oil would be finer than that and so my filters at worst would only be cleaning a small amount of the fuel going through them and so would last a good long while.

There is always the safety net of the onboard filters in case the water type still aren't sufficient but I like to try to get as long as I can out of these as a test of how well my oil is getting filtered and knowing I am doing it right.

In addition to the Water filters, for processing filtration there is always the bag type filters which I have also used. Again the oil through these is slower than with 5 Um rated bags but speed is hardly the issue here. If it is, do what I do and use 2 or more bags. With warm oil prefiltered to 5Um, I can hardly keep the 1 Um bags topped up when using 3 at a time and pumping the oil into them to drain through into a 200L drum. Filtering 150L of oil to 1Um takes me about 5 min like this.

In my experience, you will have far more trouble plugging filters through fats than you will with particles. You can either settle the oil or a lot of people here pour it cold through polypropylene recycled shopping bags which are quite effective at pulling out the fat. I don't know what Micron rating they are but as a pre filter they are VERY effective. they will hold about 25L and are available here for 70C to a buck each. You can scrape the fats out when they clag although many people who don't have a use for it just throw them away.

I was playing with one the other day on some suspect oil I didn't want to put in my settling tank. It fit over the top of a plastic 60L barrel perfectly and as I didn't want to tap into the bottom of the drum, I threw a small bilge pump in first and ran the hose up the side of the bag before I clamped the bag neatly onto the top of the drum with the original locking ring. I ran the first lot of oil through a couple of times to make sure the bag got it's initial layer of fat which ensures the rest is filtered out. From there I just filled the bag in the morning and at night after pumping the clear oil off the bottom to go into the dryer.

When The oil was processed, I put it through a new 5 Um bag and got very little rubbish out of the 150L I ran through. With the oil I get, and in my conditions it would be easy to do 50L a day by just filling the bag up in the morning and then again at night. If a person used another sealed drum feeding into the top of the bag so it self topped up, it would be easy to get even more fat free oil.

i still think settling is easier and mess free but I am also aware that a lot of people live a hand to mouth existence with their oil supply's and this would seem a very effective pre filtering method to remove fats that could block your onboard filters and take out a lot of particles as well.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering