A little help please?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

A little help please?

Postby Cumminscanuck » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:52 pm

I have now completed the installation into my truck and have carried out a couple of local short test runs with no problems. Today we set off on a longer trip only to find, after about 30 miles, that the engine lost power on VO and was producing white smoke. Fuel pressure was down about 5 psi but was still 10 plus and the fuel temp. gauge was steady on 190 degrees Fahrenheit. I suspected a clogged filter (it's between the pump and the FPHE and I'm waiting for some spares so I can't change it just yet ) though it's hard to see what could have clogged it. The tank was spotless inside and the oil (this is the first fill) was filtered to 1 micron. The hot pan test showed zero water present. Is it possible that air is a contributing factor, one or more of the connections leaking as they settle in? Any guidance or advice would be appreciated before I start to vent my frustration on the truck :roll: :roll: :roll:
2000 24 VALVE Quad Cab 2500 SLT. Edge Comp. 275 RV's. PDR HX 35/14 hybrid turbo. 4" Diamond Flow Exhaust. Isspro Pyro, Boost, Trans. Temp. Fuel Pressure, Gauges. Turbo Master. Silicone Boot Kit. FASS. BHAF. Running on SVO.
Cumminscanuck

Postby SunWizard » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:44 pm

It sounds like an air leak. The symptom of a clogged filter is it will run OK and stumble and lose fuel pressure only on acceleration. More details of your conversion, like a diagram, is needed for better help.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Cumminscanuck » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks Sunwizard and I'm sorry for the lack of details. Pictures are at http://good-times.webshots.com/album/56 ... good-times which you have commented on before. There is a schematic at http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/22 ... 7177LcBOVD.

Would you suspect the leak to be more probable on the suction side or on the pressure side of the pump or is it a case of systematically checking each junction in turn? I guess what I'm asking is, are there any shortcuts?
2000 24 VALVE Quad Cab 2500 SLT. Edge Comp. 275 RV's. PDR HX 35/14 hybrid turbo. 4" Diamond Flow Exhaust. Isspro Pyro, Boost, Trans. Temp. Fuel Pressure, Gauges. Turbo Master. Silicone Boot Kit. FASS. BHAF. Running on SVO.
Cumminscanuck

Postby Jake Palmer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Looks like you used good quality fuel line instead of garbage clear stuff.

I would go back and check all the fittings on the vacuum side. It can be time consuming and tedious, but you really want to make sure you're 100% leak-free.

One tip, those worm-gear hose clamps can cause a lot of grief. Changing to these ones may make ALL the difference:

Jake Palmer

Postby Jake Palmer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 pm

oh, another thing...

When it's stalling, is the return looped? I see you have a 3rd valve for a controlled loop. If you return to tank on veggie, does it still stall?

A small air leak gets compounded FAST when your return is looped.

Furthermore, that vegmax takes a while before all the air is out. In my benz, I had to drive ~60 miles before I got all the bubbles out
Jake Palmer

Postby SunWizard » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:08 pm

I agree with all of Jake's comments, he already answered as I would have.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Cumminscanuck » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:25 pm

OK, wish me luck. I gave myself a day off yesterday and am now about to tackle the air leak problem. I will keep you updated and thanks for the advice. There are only three connections on the suction side of the pump, Hotfox and Pump itself plus the loop return. Hopefully, it won't take toooooo long :roll:

I have had no luck sourcing those type hose clamps locally which is why I went for the worm type. I have however used two, tightening opposite ways, on each fitting wherever possible.
Cumminscanuck

Postby Cumminscanuck » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:03 pm

Jake, your point about the loop exacerbating an air problem was well made. My purge cycle is controlled by a timer which was set up monitoring a short section of clear pipe. I mix 2 cycle oil with my diesel which turns it a blue colour so I was able to accurately set a purge time. I overode the timer and ran on VO for a couple of minutes un-looped and the air was GONE :D :D :D I then drove for a few miles on VO with no more loss of power or white smoke problems which, I believe proves your second point, that the Vegmax holds a lot of air. :shock: :shock: :shock: I am fairly certain that there are no air leaks in the system but I will put a few more miles in before I say that out loud :wink:
Thanks again guys, I'm drinking a cold one on your behalf :lol:
Cumminscanuck

Postby Burbarian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Fantastic! I'm doing a looped system as well, and your experience has practically demonstrated the requirement for an automatic air purge device.

Also, neat technique with the colourant as a purge indicator. It should be fairly straightforward to build a colour sensitive differential photocell trigger as an automatic purge-stop control. That way if one forgets to purge on arrival at a destination, the engine can be commanded to remain running until the purge sensor detects completion of cycle. It can then initiate an automatic engine shutdown without intervention. Would require dying all your start/stop fuel though.

Congratulations on getting your vo system sorted out! :)
1987 GMC Suburban 6.2L V8 IDI
1985 Merc 300TD
1968 CAT D4D 3304 dozer
1971 Waldon 4100 loader
1981 IHI 30F excavator
1995 Changfa 195 w/ ST 10kw genset
Burbarian

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion