Freeze drying VO?

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby denson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:48 pm

My property does have a well, so water would be free but I think I like the fridge idea better. That way I could find the perfect temp. and just set the thermostat. Also John, how do you deal with water, suspended or other?
denson

Postby John Galt » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Any water settles out with the fats and other sludge. With a poly barrel the sludge layer is visible. Occasionally I pump the sludge out, mix it with sawdust and make 'bricks' for the woodstove.
John Galt

Postby David » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:01 pm

denson wrote:That is exactly what I'm trying to do, remove the fats. Ambient tempuratures here in southwest florida are around 80F and climbing. I do not want to burn the fats because I do not use a heated system. There are currently no conversions to my truck, so I want my fuel closer to diesel or bio than SVO.

SVO is SVO and is magnitudes more viscous than dino or Bio unless you heat it or blend it. Removing fats that are in a clear liquid state and blended in with the oil will do nothing at all of significance to reduce viscosity and you would be throwing out good, usable fuel!

Why would you want to remove the the fats that are going to be liquid at the warm temps you are running at?
The energy you would have to invest to do that both your own and in power consumption to remove a perfectly safe and usable part of your fuel supply makes no sense at all. It's likely a lot cheaper to blend in something with your fuel than what the power would cost to cool it in the sort of Qty you would need anyway.

If you settle and take the clear oil off the top, it will be perfectly fine to use. It will have fats in it but if they are liquid and clear, for all intents and purposes, they are oil and will have no adverse effect on anything. They will provide an advantage of more energy in your fuel though and a greater yield from every gallon you collect.

If you are worried about viscosity, mix in 10% Kero, Dino or 5% RUG. This will lower the viscosity of the fat/ oil blend you may have, will likely result in a better fuel and certainly make the most of your veg supply.
You would be heaps better off doing that and using as much of your veg fuel as possible than going to all the trouble of trying to cool it to separate out parts of your veg to throw away that is good fuel.

You other option would be just to install a HE on the car. This is not expensive and is very simple to do and would be far better for your engine even if you did separate out the fat component of your veg which would be a pointless and totally counter productive exercise IMHO.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby denson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:10 pm

I have seen no proof so far that fats will have no adverse effects. Also ambient tempuratures change from night to day, I don't want fats to solidify in my tank overnight in cooler seasons. Fats=variables
denson

Postby David » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:51 pm

You are confusing true fats that will go solid with high melting point oils that will still take some time to actually settle out and would remain liquid in any case .

While ambient temps are rising you have nothing to worry about and as the weather cools, if you settle your oil before you use it and pump the oil off the top of the settling barrel at the time you want to use it, all the HMP oils and fats will have settled to the bottom of the barrel and will be left behind without refrigerating.

IF you are concerned about these HMP oils, as I said you are better off either to thin the oil by blending or add a HE to your vehicle.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby denson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:36 pm

I do blend my oil. 20% WVO, 70% D2, 5% stale RUG, 5% additives/thinners. I'm trying to speed up settling time. I do not want any conversions. I also do not want to add heat to my oil suppy, so I'm not worried about melting the HMP oil. I have heard it is the best to burn but, I can't justify going through all the time and trouble for such a small amout of useable oil.
denson

Postby WD8CDH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi denson,

The only way to speed up settling is to lower viscosity (heat) or increase gravity (centerfuge).

With your blend, settling at ambient temperatures should still give you a clear blend after a cool night. If you blend with the fuels all warm and you blend very well, the blend will handle more cooling before it separates.

Depending on your oil and the dwell time in the settling drum, you may or may not get enough water out even if your fats and PHO have settled. I don't bother to differentiate between fats, high melt point oils or PHO. Unless it's contaminated, once melted, it basically all the same.

Back in the old days, none of the grease was VO, it was animal fat LARD. I ran one car for over 70,000 miles on a fuel that I had to get with a shovel even in the summer. The only reason that I stoped driving the car was my sister drove it off the road.

You could always go with two upflow drums, the first one unheated and the second one heated if you want to make sure your water is low enough.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH