Where does your oil go when ready for use?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Where does your oil go when ready for use?

Postby harry3 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:50 am

I have a 200 gallon plastic tank that I could use but am worried about condensation. This would be my tank that I would be filling my truck with. I want my dry oil to stay dry. Would condensation be free or suspended? If it would sink to the bottom I think I could deal with that. I heard of using an inertube on a 55 gallon barrel but that is to small for 200 gallons I think. Is there some kind of breather that would dry the in coming air? If this tank is a bad idea I will use it for settling, and use 55's for storage.
harry3

Postby SunWizard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:08 am

I store in 55 gal. plastic barrels, and have never had condensation problems. But this is a dry climate, you don't say where you are. One advantage of smaller size is less air space and the VO gets consumed quicker once I open the barrel. Less air = less poly, and less condensation.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby zoochy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:38 am

I'd use the 200-gallon for setting and the 55's for the final product. If your 55's are open top, you can line them w/ a plastic bag and twist the bag tight to the oil before you close the top. Any condensation in the top of the barrel will then drip onto the bag, not in the oil.

I wish I had a 200-gallon plastic tank!
1988 Dodge Ram in progress.
1997 Dodge Ram- 2 tank; Arctic Fox pickup; TIH; Plantdrive VM2 filter; Hydroforce valves
PREVIOUS 91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine >200,000 km on: 88% canola WVO; 11% old gasoline; 0.6% turpentine; 0.3% acetone; 0.1% eye of newt
zoochy

Postby David » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:18 pm

I think minimiseing the oils exposure to air, dried or otherwise is probably the best policy.
Until recently I have been pumping my finished oil into my specially cleaned " Fuel Quality" cubees and stacking them in a specific area for use.
I have had a few of 205L drums sitting for a while in reserve and decided I better rotate the oil in them rather than let them sit in what was likely to be virtual perpetuity. I also decided that post settling my oil couldn't hurt so now I have 4 205L drums on the go and as I do a new batch of oil, I pump from a drum I have had sitting into my cubees and then refill the drum with freshly finished oil. I only use 1 drum a month on average.

Perhaps settling the finished oil may allow some of those micro particles to drop out and also the fats with the cooling weather. Can't Hurt if it don't help and make sure my oil reserves don't get forgotten and go off.

I think you would be far better off with smaller drums filled to the top and used in succession than one big drum with lots of airspace in it giving the oil lots of air exposure. If you can fill the tank up and keep it filled more or less, that would be different.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby hheynow » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:00 pm

I just transferred all of my oil out of un-lined steel drums into two 275 gal plastic totes. If the totes are stored in a cool dark place and you drill a very small hole in the wide mouth top, condensation will not form. You can plug it with a screw. My totes hold my 200 micron filtered not yet de-watered and biocide dosed supply. As needed I'll pump off the top to my 55 gal lined steel de-water drum where I'll de-water and then filter to 1 micron absolute through filter bags. As needed I'll drain a few gallons off the bottom of the tote and determine if it's worth re-filtering and de-watering or tossing. Both totes have distinct separation layers already and it has only been five days.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering