1st Run on my new centrifuge

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

1st Run on my new centrifuge

Postby sacveggieguy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:13 pm

I made my first run with my new centrifuge today. I was a little dissapointed I run some oil through some jean leg prefilter about 15 gals and then ran for approx 1 and a half hrs and checked to see if i had any debris and found none i wanted to see the crap all of you guys have been getting, I mean i didnt even get a speck of dirt. Am i doing something wrong? I am running 75psi arrox 140 deg after about 1 hr. Any ideas?

Thanks Paul aka Sacveggieguy
To Dare Is To Do
sacveggieguy

Postby SunWizard » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:41 pm

It sounds like you are doing something wrong. Need more details of your rig. Do you hear the CF spinning up slowly over the 1st minute, and then slowing down takes a minute or 2 after shutoff? 90psi works far better.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

centrifuge

Postby sacveggieguy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Sunwizard I pretty much copied your setup. Yes i feel it spooling up and then spinning down. In the morning ill try the heavier spring and try adjusting the pressure reg to 90 psi I believe its the same one you are using from graingers in fact i got the part number from you. Maybe filtering through the jeans is cleaning it up pretty good im doing this prior to running it through the CF. And as always Thank You Sunwizard for your help and advice.

Paul aka Sacveggieguy
To Dare Is To Do
sacveggieguy

Postby SunWizard » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:44 pm

Stop using the pants legs, thats a waste with a CF. Use a 100 to 300 micron screen, its very coarse and fast.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:18 am

Perhaps the jeans legs are far more efficient Filters than anyone Imagined? :D

I hate to ask but I have trolled for hours through the various 10,000 post CF threads that seem for the most part to talk about anything else BUT CF's and I seem to have missed the answer to some questions....

Why is the oil heated?
Is this just to allow the pumps being used to generate the required flow and pressure rates or is there something else to it? If a pump were to be used that could generate the required flow and pressure, is heating necessary? If it is just for the de-watering aspect, I'd be happy just to clean the oil with the CF and then send it to my dryer.

Given that here in oz we don't have the cheap and ready availability of things like in the states, has anyone tried a Chev SB or BB oil Pump?
I see many people use Honda PS pumps. Can anyone please give me the exact model and year they come off so I may be able to track them if the same models were available here.

Thanks.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby SunWizard » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:19 am

David wrote:Why is the oil heated?
Is this just to allow the pumps being used to generate the required flow and pressure rates or is there something else to it? If a pump were to be used that could generate the required flow and pressure, is heating necessary? If it is just for the de-watering aspect, I'd be happy just to clean the oil with the CF and then send it to my dryer.

Particles and water separate out much quicker at higher temps. It has no effect on pressure/flow. And it helps the dewatering by flash evaporation, why go through an extra step?
Given that here in oz we don't have the cheap and ready availability of things like in the states, has anyone tried a Chev SB or BB oil Pump?
I see many people use Honda PS pumps. Can anyone please give me the exact model and year they come off so I may be able to track them if the same models were available here.

Any Acura from the 80s. I haven't heard of any using a chevy pump, it may be a trick to get one to 90psi.
SunWizard
Site Admin

im runnin 90psi

Postby sacveggieguy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:38 pm

So now I have pressure at 90 psi ran the centrifuge for approx 1.5hrs and nothing inside the CF it spins up nicely then spins down at shut off. Im going out and finding some grease this afternoon and will try without prefiltering.

Thanks Paul aka Saccveggieguy
To Dare Is To Do
sacveggieguy

Postby SunWizard » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:41 pm

How long does it take to stop when you shut down?
SunWizard
Site Admin

shut down

Postby sacveggieguy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:07 pm

I will time it next time but i remember it seeed to be spinning pretty fast when i shut it down.

Thanks Paul aka Sacveggieguy
To Dare Is To Do
sacveggieguy

Postby coachgeo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Paul looks like your seeing it like I mistakenly did.... that these units where "centrifuges" and all cleansing/seperating properties were due to the spin as you would expect a CF to do.

Well thats not the case it seems particularly on the dewater end of it. the Jet spin system that is part of the design of these type of CF's seems to be a big part of dewatering. They have a flash evaporative water seperation effect. Figure that was not the intent of the manufacturer but..... its there.... and it works "if.... the oil is heated enough" !!!
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

CF

Postby sacveggieguy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:50 pm

Thnaks Coachgeo,
Ive seen in pics that others have sent in with loads of crap inside the CF. After approx 1 hr and my temp are around 135 deg and my oil volume is less than 15 gals the inside of my CF is like it was new, I know I prefiltered thru my jeans prefilter but I was hoping to find something and the reason for buying my CF was due to the fact that I was only getting approx 1500 miles on my filter. I run a greasecar system heated tank HIH heated filter etc .

Thanks 4 all of your patience and info to all of you Paul aka Sacveggieguy
To Dare Is To Do
sacveggieguy

stiil no crud

Postby sacveggieguy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:48 pm

So today I went out and got another 12 gals of oil from a new source never tried his stuff and know nohing about his stuff other than he is a chinese place and ran it thru my CF 90 psi approx 125 deg and still nothing in my CF. Heres my question I pretty much copied Sunwizards design except that I have a flexable line between the iron pipe and the CF, Im using the clear stuff with the nylon braiding in and im noticing a fair amount of air in the line in fact i have no air going into my pump and it seems to have air coming out of it, even though im seeing 90 psi at my guage right before my CF the air bubbles must be coming out of the jets inside of the CF could this be my problem. I really wanted to see all the crud you guys are finding I know this stuff i picked up today wasnt that clean in fact it was pretty dark but very liquid. And by the way my pump is one of those carbonator pumps I used it because I had one. Any ideas?

Thanks again Paul aka Sacveggieguy
To Dare Is To Do
sacveggieguy

Postby SunWizard » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Heat it to 160F it works much better. And answer my last question above.
SunWizard
Site Admin

CF

Postby sacveggieguy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:10 pm

Sunwizard it takes about 1min and 15 secs until it stops spinning and im guessing maybe a little longer because im only feeling the vibrations during spindown. And do you really think another 20 or 30 degrees will get me the junk I see in your photos as opposed to getting nothing? I dont even get a speck. The inside of my housing is white no build up or sludge. Im only running a 1750 watt heater but my temps are getting up to approx 125 or 130 and I let it run an hour after that. If you think I need more heat ill do it. But what do you think about the air problem I am having? Coming from my iron pipe I see about 1/3 air and 2/3 oil going into my CF the air must coming out of the jets inside of the CF and if I capture the oil coming out at the bottom of the CF it looks just like I poured a Guinness Stout. A glass full of air mixed with oil.

Thanks 4 your patience Paul aka Sacveggieguy
To Dare Is To Do
sacveggieguy

Postby SunWizard » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:21 pm

Yes air could be the problem, and yes more heat is always better up to 160F.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering