insulation testers wanted

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby leftcoastjeff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Tube, more difficult to install and make

Wrap is easier and IMHO works better

The FPHE is one I havent made yet.

As far as falling apart, I put a piece of neoprene into WVO almost 4 months ago and no signs of changing.

Hand wash OK, High pressure, dont think so.

LCjeff
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby biovindiesel » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Jeff, is it possible to find sheets of neoprene locally? Where is a good company to order from. I won't be getting a wholesale quantity. Perhaps you would sell a sheet since you probably can get a wholesale discount.

:)
~Cv
biovindiesel

Postby leftcoastjeff » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:04 pm

biovindiesel,

"Jeff, is it possible to find sheets of neoprene locally?"

Sure, see if you have any wetsuit makers near you.

" Where is a good company to order from."

Mc master carr etc. has lots of differant Neoprene rubber sheets, strips etc. can't tell you about the quality, I have NOT used this foam

"I won't be getting a wholesale quantity. Perhaps you would sell a sheet since you probably can get a wholesale discount."

We sell material by the foot or the sheet, though I prefer to make things.

What thickness would you prefer, I have 2,3,4,5,6.5 and 12mm (1/8"-1/2")

LCjeff
Last edited by leftcoastjeff on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby John Galt » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:32 pm

I've been testing the two layer Arctic FPHE cover. It's not really cold yet; only below freezing at night and I've noticed that the distance/time to warm up is reduced by 25% to 30% with the insulating covers on the FPHE. I expect it will be more significant when it's colder.

I recommend these insulating FPHE covers to anyone who wants faster warm-up times.

John Galt

two layer Arctic FPHE cover

Postby leftcoastjeff » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:11 pm

Thank you John, was it difficult to install?

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Arctic FPHE Cover

Postby John Galt » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks to you Jeff, for the opportunity to test this product.
It's a good fit and wasn't difficult to install. The covers provide excellent insulation, are a great 'shock' mount to secure the FPHE, and makes the FPHE install look more 'professional'.
John Galt

Postby bmalachuk » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:57 am

Interesting idea for insulation. I didn't read thru the 12 pages of tthis thread but I wonder has anyone asked about having a neoprene insulating jacket made up for a Davco 382? A buddy and I are both using them in our systems, and the way I see it the large aluminum base area would benefit from a winter jacket of toasty warm Neoprene :-)

A sock for the top part wouldn't be bad either, but then one wouldn't be able to see the nifty filter in the housing, well without pulling it up and off. I'd be able to provide a Davco base for fitting purposes if ya were interested in making something up.

Also dunno if anyone has suggested something for insulating an Arctic Fox Linehauler, but I have one of those and was thinking about using a piece of large Armacell pipe insulation if I could find it. Neoprene would be nicer I suppose.
bmalachuk

Davco filter cover

Postby leftcoastjeff » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:59 am

I have not made one of those yet.
Yes I can make that if you send the base to work with.
I will need a couple of measurements on the bowl (top)
Insulating evidence thread coming soon, more testimonials needed.

"A sock for the top part wouldn't be bad either, but then one wouldn't be able to see the nifty filter in the housing, well without pulling it up and off. I'd be able to provide a Davco base for fitting purposes if ya were interested in making something up."

2 piece cover? sounds good,

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Postby bmalachuk » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:28 pm

I have a davco 322 (older unit but same dimensions as the 382) that I could loan out your way to make a neoprene jacket for. I figure could ship it out that way for USPS flat rate and you could make up something that fits it to keep it snug as a bug in a proverbial rug :-) I can take measurements of the top part of my 382 which should be a simple sleeve to keep the top warm since there are no fittings or other odd protrusions on there.

As to the linehauler that should be someone I could give dimensions to as well since it is a cylinder with a port at either end and two ports in the middle for 3/8in fittings I think arctic fox's website has dimensions in a PDF for that :-)
bmalachuk

Postby leftcoastjeff » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:01 pm

I can do that.
Is this the one? Line Hauler.
http://store.qualitydist.net/afx-i-702.html

Maybe a wrap instead of a tube
http://i28.tinypic.com/111sc3p.jpg

My mailing address is,

201 #1 Hoffman Ave.
Monterey, CA. 93940

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Is there anybody out there.............

Postby leftcoastjeff » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:52 pm

BUMP!
Did I wait long enough?
Any feedback?
How's it going after 2 years?
Maybe it's time for a new thread.

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Postby leftcoastjeff » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:35 pm

So...........I understand that the price of dino is down, but WTF,...........

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Postby coachgeo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:11 am

. Assume you contacted the testers directly?
. did you and they follow the response plan set up in advance?
. What was the testing procedure you set up with them?
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby suki1987 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:20 am

I don't think it makes a difference, since the velcro holds tight, and after applying the cover and removing it a few times, I think it will hold a lifetime... So the velcro could be up or down, depending on where the lines in/out need to be arranged. Stay tuned for more pictures!
A smile to put you on high... A kiss to set your soul alright...Solenoid valve electromagnetic valve
suki1987

Postby suki1987 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:22 am

he valves have an aluminum body which acts as a big heat sink where I need to keep the oil as hot as possible. I'm interested in insulating all the high heat-loss areas. Where the coolant hoses pass through the bed of the truck is a tight turn and a tight body pass through hole.
A smile to put you on high... A kiss to set your soul alright...Solenoid valve electromagnetic valve
suki1987

PreviousNext

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion