insulation testers wanted

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby leftcoastjeff » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Plantdrive seems to like the filter covers.

LCjeff
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby Bones » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Interesting thread leftcoastjeff,

I hope you managed to sell a fair few as reward for your effort :wink:

How are the long term tests working out - did Jake ever post his pics :D

I am thinking of using this to insulate a veg tank in the boot (trunk), does it work better than say sheet polystyrene?

Does neoprene just come in one flavour, ie..its all the same?

Is this the stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-3MM-NEOPRENE-RUBBER-SHEET-1-2M-WIDE-X-10-METRE-/250602035479?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a590b9917

Thanks,
David

1994 Merc C250D -110k dino, 22k miles with t/tank - now on wvo
1998 Merc 300TD - 89k dino, 5k blend SVO garaged for winter

And remember ~

"if you drive a car fast enough it will last you a lifetime"
Bones

Postby leftcoastjeff » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Bones wrote:Interesting thread leftcoastjeff,

Thanks Bones as you can see we have put a lot of time and some $$ helping others and hoping to get some "hands on tests", well as you can see the price of dino fuel has dropped and the interest as well.

Bones wrote:I hope you managed to sell a fair few as reward for your effort :wink:

I'm not a high pressure salesman, I enjoy fixing things, sometimes with neoprene. I've had second thoughts on the Veg in a vehicle, more tward the veg powered wetsuit factory. Stay tuned!

Bones wrote:How are the long term tests working out - did Jake ever post his pics :D

No pix to speak of....maybe I should reread the entire thread.
There was a slight meltdown when a resistive heat strip overheated the nylon 350F+

Bones wrote:I am thinking of using this to insulate a veg tank in the boot (trunk), does it work better than say sheet polystyrene?

Your going to heat the entire tank? Isn't that going to take forever to heat up?
I've never used sheet polystyrene.

Bones wrote:Does neoprene just come in one flavour, ie..its all the same?

It's like beer, thick, thin, cheap, expensive, light, dark, from most corners of the globe.
It's a recipe of volatile chemicals and petroleum, chemists have been improving it for decades.
The process is amazing. measure toxic stuff, mix, bake, cool, slice (in very thin slices)and then apply just the right amount, of the right glue, to hold the fabric laminate to the soft rubber, forever, hopefully.
Yes it works.

Bones wrote:Is this the stuff?

Thanks,
[/b]

That is some neoprene, like saying it's a beer.
Check out the wetsuit or drysuit factories on your island, seems to me that there is a place called otter suits (UK), not to be confused with otter bay suits, that's us in the US.

Sounds like were going to loose the power here, the wind is kicking!

LCjeff
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby Bones » Sun May 02, 2010 1:08 pm

leftcoastjeff wrote:
Bones wrote:Interesting thread leftcoastjeff,

Thanks Bones as you can see we have put a lot of time and some $$ helping others and hoping to get some "hands on tests", well as you can see the price of dino fuel has dropped and the interest as well.

Ahhh, thats a shame, dino on the way back up here - lots of interest of the forums at the mo.

Bones wrote:I hope you managed to sell a fair few as reward for your effort :wink:

I'm not a high pressure salesman, I enjoy fixing things, sometimes with neoprene. I've had second thoughts on the Veg in a vehicle, more tward the veg powered wetsuit factory. Stay tuned!

Sounds cool!

The neoprene for veg cars is still a good idea, one of the veg site are selling kits from the new stuff

http://www.vegpower.com/order/prodpage. ... lected=546

Bones wrote:How are the long term tests working out - did Jake ever post his pics :D

No pix to speak of....maybe I should reread the entire thread.
There was a slight meltdown when a resistive heat strip overheated the nylon 350F+

Bones wrote:I am thinking of using this to insulate a veg tank in the boot (trunk), does it work better than say sheet polystyrene?

Your going to heat the entire tank? Isn't that going to take forever to heat up?

Nope, it's just to insulate it overnight really - a few folks here have reported a few degrees warmer in the morning with no heat, just the unsulation

I've never used sheet polystyrene.

Try making a wet site out of it, be sure to let me know how you get on (pics plse) :wink:

Bones wrote:Does neoprene just come in one flavour, ie..its all the same?

It's like beer, thick, thin, cheap, expensive, light, dark, from most corners of the globe.
It's a recipe of volatile chemicals and petroleum, chemists have been improving it for decades.
The process is amazing. measure toxic stuff, mix, bake, cool, slice (in very thin slices)and then apply just the right amount, of the right glue, to hold the fabric laminate to the soft rubber, forever, hopefully.
Yes it works.

Bones wrote:Is this the stuff?

Thanks,
[/b]

That is some neoprene, like saying it's a beer.
Check out the wetsuit or drysuit factories on your island, seems to me that there is a place called otter suits (UK), not to be confused with otter bay suits, that's us in the US.

All I can say is you like your beer :wink:

Sounds like were going to loose the power here, the wind is kicking!

Hope you didn't get blown away :(

LCjeff
[url][/url]
David

1994 Merc C250D -110k dino, 22k miles with t/tank - now on wvo
1998 Merc 300TD - 89k dino, 5k blend SVO garaged for winter

And remember ~

"if you drive a car fast enough it will last you a lifetime"
Bones

Previous

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion