ULSD and LSD quality

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

ULSD and LSD quality

Postby denson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:22 pm

The quality of diesel from the gas station pumps here in Florida sucks. When I say it sucks I mean I'm finding a lot of water in it. Some stations are definetly better than others, but still have water in their fuel. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, has it always been this way or is it just a sighn of the times?
denson

Postby SunWizard » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:30 pm

No water in my diesel around here in 2 years. But I burn very little D2, I only fill up about 2x a year since I burn V100 95% of the time.

At what point in your system are you finding the water?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby denson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:38 pm

I brought some home in containers, then poured them into clean dry cubies. My father in law's racor was constantly filling with water. So I bought some diesel from the station he usually fills up at and after pouring them into theese cubies and letting them settle 24 hours you can see visible water droplets on the bottom.
denson

Postby John Galt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:40 pm

No water in the diesel up here. Our frigid climate causes serious problems with wet diesel, so the refineries make sure it's dry. Florida has a high water table, maybe it's ground water seeping into the tanks.
John Galt

Postby David » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:26 pm

As I have said before, it amazes me why people analyze the " quality" of their WVO and Bio to ridiculous degrees but seem to think that Diesel is always perfectly clean with no water or contaminants. I was reading The comments on centrifuging oil the other day and was wondering if anyone ever CF'ed 50 Gallons of Diesel and had a look at what came out of that. I think many people would be surprised.

There are always reports here of bad Diesel causing problems but people still just pump the stuff in always assuming it's perfect. If they started filtering it to 1Um or centrifuging it and doing hot pan tests or washing the stuff as people do with their oil, I'm sure a lot of people would have their eyes opened.

I would suggest buying your fuel from high volume places or outlets where you see trucks filling up. They generally know where to and not to get their fuel from and anything dodgy shows up as quick as word gets around.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby John Galt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:11 pm

do hot pan tests work on 100% petro diesel?

I buy diesel from a key lock at a bulk fuel dealer that caters to truckers heading to the far north. There's never been a problem with fuel quality. It also costs less than the retail pumps, and they send a monthly bill instead of having to pay at every fill-up.
John Galt

Postby denson » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:11 pm

I buy my diesel in bulk also and it is normally good. sometimes I use off road diesel as well. everything I buy gets filtered, mixed, and stored in 55gal. drums to settle then pumped off the top filtered down smaller and into the tank.
denson

Postby wvoalaska » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:03 pm

John Galt wrote:do hot pan tests work on 100% petro diesel?

I don't think a hot pan test is necessary. I have read that water does not stay suspended in diesel the way it does in wvo. Therefore, basically all of it drops out (which is why a filter that catches water is good enough).
wvoalaska

Postby John Galt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:15 pm

I'm not suggesting it's necessary. My comment was in response to:
If they started filtering it to 1Um or centrifuging it and doing hot pan tests or washing the stuff as people do with their oil, I'm sure a lot of people would have their eyes opened.

I've heard that the HPT won't work on diesel fuel or diesel fuel blends with VO, and thought the author of this statement had better data.

I occasionally catch a sample of PD and let it settle and usually there is some visible sediment in the bottom. That's why fuel filters are important.
John Galt

Postby denson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:33 am

I also recently had a problem with a Bobcat T-250 on 100% diesel. Fuel lines coming off the tank were plugged with brownish booger like substance. The hand pump primer was also plugged with it and would completely collapse when throttled up. Cleaned out lines with pipe cleaners, replaced the primer, and ran some Diesel clean (grey bottle) though it and the problem cleared up. I wonder how much of those boogers went through the IP and in the cylinder.
denson

Postby John Galt » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:35 am

Didn't it have a fuel filter to catch that sort of crap before it got to the IP?

What you describe appears to be algae or some other bio-critter. They can only grow where there is water. So the problem was likely caused by wet fuel.
John Galt

Postby denson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:42 pm

Yes, it did sorry I can't belive I forgot that. When it first started bogging down I drained the filter, it has a drain plug on the bottom, and surprise! Water then fuel came out. I also changed that out too. I don't know how much water that filter catches though. There's only one filter before the IP and I,m guessing it serves as a water/fuel filter. That's why I'm wondering how much, and what was allowed to pass through it.Also I agree there proably is bio booger organisms living on the bottom of the tank. That machine is so cramped in the engine compartment, I haven't even figured out how to drain the tank yet (besides sucking on a fuel line yuck!)
denson

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending