viscousity of oils

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

viscousity of oils

Postby leftcoastjeff » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:40 am

Viscousity of oils is changed by heat, to match that of diesel so that it will go through the injector pump and injectors.

Do all oils need to be heated to the same temps?

I read, 160F, 190F, and more.

I know that lard needs 190F to flow properly, And Canola oil ? Peanut? 160F?

When I was spraying paint, we had a little funnel to measure Visc. so that the paint will flow through the pump and spray head properly.
Just time through funnel=thin or not, easy.
perhaps somone has done this already.

I may be way off the mark,

LCjeff
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby zoochy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Not sure if it is considered taboo to refer to another forum but viscosities and blending was just discussed here:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/ ... 026542/p/2

Testing viscosity of different oils at various temps is another issue entirely.
1988 Dodge Ram in progress.
1997 Dodge Ram- 2 tank; Arctic Fox pickup; TIH; Plantdrive VM2 filter; Hydroforce valves
PREVIOUS 91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine >200,000 km on: 88% canola WVO; 11% old gasoline; 0.6% turpentine; 0.3% acetone; 0.1% eye of newt
zoochy

Postby SunWizard » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:07 pm

160F is a good minimum temp for all types of VO. All of them approach the same viscosity at this temp, including lard. See graph on post#9 here showing different types of VO:
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3561

And this viscosity is about the same as for cold D2, graph here:
http://www.frybrid.com/svo.htm
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby leftcoastjeff » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Great, that means no guess work or challenges if I get some animal fats, as long as the temp near 190F
A properly engineered system is the key, not the type of oil.
That first graph gave me a headache, did you check the previous entry, pretty much sums it up?

Thanks for doing all the leg work, if I can be helpful, if it's in my power, i am at your service.8)

LCjeff

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby coachgeo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:10 pm

The balance you have to strike is what heat the IP can handle. Some IP's figure in the incomming fuel to help COOL the IP.

Now it is said that VO fuel oil does draw heat out of the IP better than diesel does. Another words.....

?X? degree diesel cools the IP ?Y? amount
..... and....

?X+Z?? degree VO cools the same ?Y?

I do not know the actual figures of the X Y and the amount of temp raise of Z.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby leftcoastjeff » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 pm

I'm sorry, I do rubber suits,:shock:
I'm thinking that some IP's are less resistant to heat extremes, which will need injector line heaters and care switching to cold or to hot.
Some will take the torture of over heated oil to compensate for heat loss in the lines to the injectors? but will they last?
If the IP needs cooling, you'll need post IP heaters?
Or your typing the fact that deisel and WVO have differant heat sink values, well........................:shock:

Am I on the right track? If so let me know which way to turn next?

I'm not really good with "x's and Y's" but I think I get it, sort-of.:shock:

"87 F250, which side am I on? Injector heaters or not?:roll:
or should I just junk it and borrow $28,000 and buy a hybrid and still buy thier BS until it becomes obsolete, like the battery in my 2 year old cell phone!

LCjeff

leftcoastjeff

Postby coachgeo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Yes it is said VO and diesel have different heat sink values as you call it from what I've read.

Remember though Im a theorist full of lots of reading and less hands on. Others will pipe in and add what reality seems to be.

Sorry I dont know anything about your Ford's engine IP etc. Sounds like a good new thread if you cant find that info via a search first of Infopop and other veg sites.

Of course... report what you find in your search please in an appropriately named thread. That way the knowledge base archived here will begin to grow and the next guy only has to search here.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby Welder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:38 am

I can't help thinking that perhaps the engineers intention of using incoming COLD/COOL/WARM diesel//ULSD has more to do with the exponentially lesser lubricity that petro diesel posseses as compared to WVO.

In other words, IP manufacturers specs be damned, crank up the heat and bring on the grease!!!
"Is there anybody out there?"

Roger Waters
Welder

Postby Welder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:43 am

In examining 9/11 conspiracy er,.. theories, it was pointed out that mild steel rebar loses about 1/2 of its strength at nearly 1000 deg C, so I gotta figure that since heat causes steel molecules expand in ALL directions equally, a higher grade of steel (IP steel) should easilly handle the gradual encroachment of coolant temps with MINOR deformation, leaving acceptable tolerances during heating/cooling and operation.
"Is there anybody out there?"

Roger Waters
Welder

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion