Sunwizard, advice on my lift pump please

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Sunwizard, advice on my lift pump please

Postby paulchace » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:02 pm

I did several things to reduce the air in my system, enough to finally start the truck, 97 dodge, and put a 30 psi gauge in and watch it. I have tygon hose between the prescreen/heater and lift pump to watch for air. There is some, but a lot less than before. So, after I start 'er up the gauge says 21psi, then after warming 'er up, I rev it up to 2000, on up to 2500rpm. Only 24 psi. Is this ok? I have read where you say 5 is ok. I just want to be assured that 24 is good. I read 25 to 30 is spec. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Paul
paulchace

Postby SunWizard » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:39 pm

Yes 20-24 is fine. You should still try to find where the air is coming from, since it could create other problems.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

I found the problem and ..........

Postby paulchace » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:54 pm

I took the GC valve out of the system, temporarily, and the prescreen/heater. Diesel in now goes directly to the lift pump. NO AIR. I checked the GC valve for leaks, it's ok. The diesel "in " hose clamp was not tight enough. I tried to introduce the stock filter canister, but after putting a vacuum to it, it still leaks air, I decided not to. I have 2 Baldwin filter bases with spin on filters, I got air out of them. I tried one Baldwin spin on, air out of that......maybe the filter media is too restrictive......I'll call Baldwin again tomorrow to see if I need to rethink my filter base and element choice......Paul
paulchace

Postby SunWizard » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:49 pm

They are probably not rated for vacuum.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Welder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:12 am

SunWizard wrote:They are probably not rated for vacuum.

That's why Veggiestroke is the all-round best plumbing style (irrespective of PSI /flow spec).

Pressurised veggie lines NEVER suck in air bubbles, they can only drip veg out. Sure, if parked for a relatively long time, a Veggiestroke style SVO conversion might allow air into the lines, but that's unlikely and far different from being put under vacuum during normal operation...

Veggiestroke plumbing can be adapted to ALL diesel SVO conversions including the honoured Dodge 12 valves and the Merc IDIs...
"Is there anybody out there?"

Roger Waters
Welder

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion