fuel pump placement

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

fuel pump placement

Postby tommc56 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm just starting my plumbing work and wondered if anyone has mounted their FASS pumps in the engine compartments ? I will be running HotFox and HIH lines from the rear tank of my ext cab IDI F250 . Am I asking too much of the pump in that configuration ?
tommc56

Postby SunWizard » Thu May 01, 2008 1:03 pm

There isn't much restriction in a hotfox or HiH lines so the FASS should be fine, its a good pump. Many are using them with the filter under vacuum, that makes the FASS work much harder than sucking through long pipes.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Welder » Thu May 01, 2008 3:14 pm

SunWizard wrote:There isn't much restriction in a hotfox or HiH lines so the FASS should be fine, its a good pump. Many are using them with the filter under vacuum, that makes the FASS work much harder than sucking through long pipes.

Yeah Sun, I've often wondered why they arrange their pumps after their filters like that.

I know that in theory a vaccuum will allow suspended water to drop out of fuel better than emulsifying it under pressure, but with all the FFAs in WVO, I'm not sure there's any REAL benefit to installing a filter on the weaker side of any veggie pump.

You'd think that if people were really that worried about suspended water, they'd deware thoroughly, then slap a dessicant breather on their veggie tanks so condensation can't collect and puddle under their draw tube.

Another easy solution would be to plumb in a simple settling bowl before the pump and install the veggie filter after the pump.

Something like a National Spencer aluminum head version of the Goldenrod/Baldwing PF-10 would be a good settling bowl, but with no filter installed in the housing. The national Spencer has a clear bowl with a drain cock at the bottom, so any slugs of free water that built up could be drained off. Again, I'm not sure that free water stays free in for long in high FFA WVO, so it seems that proper dewatering and a dessicant breather would be better insurance. By the time that condensation forms a slug of free water in a settling bowl, how much cavitation has already occurred by the FFAs emulsifying the water and dragging it into the IP?
"Is there anybody out there?"

Roger Waters
Welder

Postby rkpatt » Thu May 01, 2008 3:35 pm

Welder - We must think alike . I just installed one of the Zee Line NS10 canister filters with the 80 mesh screen as a pre-lift pump filters (junk strainer) / settling trap on the WVO lift pump intake line on my 1994 F250 7.3 IDI NA . I

I purchased them at www.strickequipment.com where a lot of people get their Fillrite FR1604 transfer pumps. I think that www.jmesales.com has them too.

See - lower left corner and upper right corner of of the page -
http://www.strickequipment.com/catalog/ ... ilters.htm
Last edited by rkpatt on Fri May 02, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
rkpatt

Postby Welder » Fri May 02, 2008 3:21 am

JME and Strick are both good sources for stuff. They treated me very professionally.
"Is there anybody out there?"

Roger Waters
Welder

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion