Generators running a mobile centrifuge?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 04, 2008 9:37 am

That one is loud, cheap, and won't last long.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 04, 2008 9:50 am

coachgeo wrote:
SunWizard wrote:.... You will still have some amount of heat lost off the top of the VO, if its an open top drum which works the best for dewatering. ....
Dang I keep forgetting about this. Sounds like for on the go CFing you would want a closed top along with maintaining a constant vacuume level to suck out water vapor as it is expelled from the CF.
Would that work?

Vac the barrel probably wouldn't work very well since the vapor could condense on the metal walls before getting vacuumed out. A cross fitting in the line right below the CF with a fan blowing air across would be better. Fans are cheaper and simpler. And then your vacuum pump oil doesn't keep getting contaminated by water.
If so; is there a way to measure vacuum with some sort of switch thus giving you the ability to keep the amount of vacuum constant?

If it helps at all maybe have the CF mounted inside a small tank with a bit of vacuum on it to suck out the water vapor while the dry oil drains on back into the tank from which it came.?

I prefer the way I have mine setup, I can use the same rig open top for dewatering and while at home, and then put on the lid closed top for running down the road, then open it when I am stopped somewhere to get the dewatering done (its usually dewatered much faster than the particle removal.)
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Welder » Mon May 05, 2008 5:35 am

Have you used your mobile genset powered CF rig much Sun?

I'm betting you likely use your stationary unit more, but I just wanted to see how well your mobile rig has performed for you over time.

Would you trust it for your sole source of CF cleaned WVO?

I don't mean to batter you with seemingly stupid questions, but since I live in a condo, my options are currently a little limited.

If I build a mobile CF rig and buy a genset to run it, I want to know that I can rely on it 100%. If that's unreasonably optomistic, then I'm better off finding a location for a stationary CF unit.
"Is there anybody out there?"

Roger Waters
Welder

Postby SunWizard » Mon May 05, 2008 7:10 am

Welder wrote:Have you used your mobile genset powered CF rig much Sun?

I'm betting you likely use your stationary unit more, but I just wanted to see how well your mobile rig has performed for you over time.

Would you trust it for your sole source of CF cleaned WVO?

No I haven't used it much mobile, but its the exact same rig I use at home, so yes I trust it for all my VO and have been using it for ~2 years now.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering