Need help with wiring....

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Need help with wiring....

Postby vwbyte » Mon May 05, 2008 8:00 am

a two tank system using selectable elec. pumps for diesel/vo and one 3way solenoid(GC) for looped returnon VO and diesel return to diesel tank.

I know this subject has been tossed around alot lately with regards to plumbing, but i'm having a real problem getting my brain around the switch/relay/purge alarm setup i'm trying to accomplish.

Specifically, I have plumbed a vw rabbit with the two pump setup. The diesel side has a facet pump at the diesel tank to push to the IP. There is one 3 way solenoid on the return from the pump. In the off(default) diesel returns to the diesel tank.

The VO side has a facet pump at the aux tank to push to the IP. The 3way is energized, looping the return from the ip back to the IP with a limited return to the aux tank(restricted tee to send air back to vo tank)(if this isn't clear see example #2 here)
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/voconversionbasics/vpost?id=1700136

I would like to have the following features but i'm getting confused on how to do it:

An audible alarm if the car is shut down: with VO pump on, when the 3way is energized and while purging(diesel pump on, 3way on)

I assumed maybe one switch for the pumps (spdt 2position switch) and one switch for the 3way(spdt 3 position , center off) for diesel mode, vo mode, and purge mode.

That's as far as I get before the magic smoke starts coming out of my ears. Once I start trying to figure in the buzzer when this goes on and that goes off with ignition hot, or when ground is broken..... AAAAAAAHHH!

Any thoughts, schematics floating around out there for this type of setup would be seriously appreciated. In fact, anyone that can get me to an actual diagram/wiring schematic to make this a reality will get a sixpack of their choice mailed to your door. Assuming of course that's possible without incurring the wrath of the postmaster general.

Thanks,
Steve
vwbyte

or.....

Postby vwbyte » Mon May 05, 2008 6:26 pm

i would settle for some pointers on how to wire an alarm to go off when a switch is in a certain position and the car is shut off...

Thanks anyone!
vwbyte

Postby vwbyte » Wed May 07, 2008 6:10 am

vwbyte

alarm

Postby sanderlings » Wed May 07, 2008 4:58 pm

vwbyte, I think there are alarms for sale that are designed for headlights left on and such, that are all wired up with directions and diagrams. The one that I rigged for my WVO pump (And headlight on) is just a relay and a buzzer. If you want to go the homemade route I can try to explain it. For this method you will need your pump to run on "always on" voltage and not shut off with the ignition. My pumps actually shut off with an oil pressure shut-off, so I mounted an identical switch right next to the WVO pump switch (with "always on" power) for the alarm. You will need a five pin relay (Not four pin) and a 12V buzzer. You should have fuse protected relays on your facet pumps so that full battery power doesn't route through the pump switches. Relays usually have a diagram printed on the side but I think I remember the terminal numbers (Double check me though). To set up your WVO pump alarm to sound off if you shut down on WVO, wire the relay like this; Terminal 30 - Pump voltage in, terminal 85 - ignition voltage in, terminal 86 - to chassis ground, terminal 87 - not used, terminal 87A - buzzer voltage out. Then ground the other buzzer wire to the chassis. So, if you shut down on WVO, the ignition voltage goes away and that makes the relay send power to terminal 87A and the buzzer sounds.

As for the 3way, I am not so sure what you want there. I read it like you want an alarm to go off while purging. It seems like that would be an alarm for when your diesel is looping. Maybe not something you want, but not too bad. An alarm for running on WVO and not looping would be helpful though. Using the same relay / buzzer set-up for the 3way would require "always on" power to that solenoid valve, which might not be a good idea. Maybe you could just wire an indicator light to glow when the 3way is energized. The visual clue might be enough to go by.

Another visual clue that I rely on is the pressure reading. Since my WVO and diesel pumps put out different pressures, I can glance at the gauge and know which pump is feeding the IP.

Make sure everything you wire-up is fuse protected somewhere.
todd
sanderlings

Postby Jake Palmer » Thu May 08, 2008 11:17 am

question: Why are you using lift pumps on the VW diesel?
Jake Palmer

Postby vwbyte » Fri May 09, 2008 7:28 am

I've modified the setup somewhat from the original. My original thinking was to use the 2 pumps and one 3way to select fuel. My decision to use additional pumps was for a few reasons; To aid the IP on the VO side as the VO is a little more viscous than diesel, even heated, to eliminate air leaks, and because they also function as check valves.

My concern with this stems from the reliabilty of the pumps. The only pumps i'm in a position to afford are not purpose built for this work, and then I get into the false economy of cheap pumps needing to be replaced too often. I think now i'll use two 3ways, one for feed and one for return. Default will be to diesel with a return to tank. VO will be looped and if I need to bump some air out, I can shoot a little to the diesel tank. I've settled on using an aftermarket turbo timer to handle the purge at shutdown(and i'll add a manual override). Their are some very reasonably had on ebay for $30.

I'd still like to wire in an audible alarm for when the VO feed and diesel return are on simultaneously ( shooting air bubbles to the diesel tank) so I don't fill my diesel with VO. I'm still considering using a pump to help push VO to the front and to help air get out after servicing the lines. Do you see any problems with this? If the pump fails, will it cause too much restriction in the line?

Todd, thanks for the tutorial regarding the relay. That made sense to me and I never considered using and oil press. switch for that. I couldn't figure how to maintain that "always on" without a way to shut it off while the wasn't running.

I'll post results in a week or so, should have it running by then.

Thanks,
Steve
vwbyte

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion