Don't put your main VO filter on the vacuum side

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Don't put your main VO filter on the vacuum side

Postby SunWizard » Wed May 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Here is a link to an interesting and important thread from the maker of FASS pumps, considered to be the strongest, best pumps made for VO. They say don't put your main VO filter on the vacuum side of the lift pump:
"Pump are more efficient on the pressure side. You start to restrict on the suction side, you reduce pump performance, increase noise, cavitate and eventually cause damage to the gear base from cavitation ware. We recommend keeping the filter rating above 144um on the suction side of the pump."
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10450
This same warning applies to any pump, but this maker is the only one who is working closely with VO users to make the best pumps and warranty them for a long time on VO.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby jordanmills » Wed May 07, 2008 6:56 pm

Or, if you're really cool, your filter will collapse, but not make the pump freeze. Instead, you'll start sending finely ground filter media into your injectors. Then you get a crash course in diesel engine rebuilds!
2001 F-250 (7.3 L PSD)
2-tank custom/self-built SVO system
jordanmills

no filter on suction side? My take-away.

Postby HoldOnTight » Fri May 09, 2008 2:42 pm

I have a DAVCO 234+ and I understand it was made to operate on the suction side, not the pressure side. I've got my filter only taking in what the engine burns (not looping to tank), so the suction required to pull through the filter is minimal in my case. This sounds like another good reason not to return fuel to the tank.

Sounds like other conversions may not be able to get away with what I've done.
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby hheynow » Fri May 09, 2008 10:25 pm

Came across this link on Plantdrive's website where it says:

Why Our Filters Should Be On the Vacuum Side of Any Lift Pump

The Vormax (and the VegMax), like all Racor filters with water-blocking elements, are designed to be installed on the suction side of any 12V or mechanical lift pump - if there's any free water in your fuel, the pressure of the pump will create a water-fuel emulsion, which won't drop out into the drain bowls of the filters where you can drain it out.

Also, if the free water is turned into an emulsion, it will not swell the Aquablock filter media of the R90T element or the water-blocking element of the VegMax. Instead, the water-fuel emulsion can get pushed through the filter media and end up in your fuel system post-Vormax.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Postby SunWizard » Fri May 09, 2008 10:38 pm

That is based on their use as water blockers in diesel. We know directly from the techs at Racor that those filters don't work to block water in VO, so all of that is wrong for VO. As well as from testing by many users, they have shown they don't stop water in VO, regardless of which side of the lift pump.

The Racor and Vormax filters do need to be put on the vacuum side since that is all they are designed for. Which is bad now that we have this new information about pump damage ocurring due to filters on the vacuum side. It will be interesting to see how plantdrive responds when they see this new information from one of the best lift pump makers. Frybrid as well since I think they have been putting many filters on the vacuum side.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Cumminscanuck » Sat May 10, 2008 9:36 am

I have a Vegmax and I contacted the filter manufacturers about putting it on the pressure side. They told me it was equally effective so I have mine on the pressure side and it works well.
2000 24 VALVE Quad Cab 2500 SLT. Edge Comp. 275 RV's. PDR HX 35/14 hybrid turbo. 4" Diamond Flow Exhaust. Isspro Pyro, Boost, Trans. Temp. Fuel Pressure, Gauges. Turbo Master. Silicone Boot Kit. FASS. BHAF. Running on SVO.
Cumminscanuck

Postby SunWizard » Sat May 10, 2008 10:44 am

Cumminscanuck wrote:I have a Vegmax and I contacted the filter manufacturers about putting it on the pressure side. They told me it was equally effective so I have mine on the pressure side and it works well.

It depends on the brand of filter, what brand did you contact that is good for pressure? Did they say how much pressure? (since that is just as important.) All of my pressure rated ones have the max.pressure printed right on them.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion