Multi-stage filtration system with baking soda step

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Multi-stage filtration system with baking soda step

Postby chasee » Thu May 08, 2008 5:51 am

Here a link which has full description and pics:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=189

In theory, you can knock each stage down to one drum. I only have that many because I have space, and it just makes for longer settling time for any given batch of oil.
2005 Golf GLS PD-TDI, 5-speed. Grease Car kit installed right off the lot when brand new. Running on WVO about 85% of the time.
chasee

Postby John Galt » Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 pm

What pre tests were performed to determine the need for the baking soda, and what post tests were done to measure the effect of using it?
John Galt

Postby chasee » Thu May 08, 2008 3:27 pm

John Galt wrote:What pre tests were performed to determine the need for the baking soda, and what post tests were done to measure the effect of using it?

None and none. I've been planning to take pre and post samples over to UMASS chem dept to have some analysis, but I just never have gotten to it. So it might just as easily be voodoo.

But here are my observations:

Oil transferred to conical drum has already settled for multiple weeks, then went through a heat/filter session into the conical drum, not taking from the bottom third of the first drum. Band heater on the first drum is also strapped above bottom third as well so as to avoid convection currents stirring up all the settled crap. So the oil going into the conical drum is already very well settled and clear of at least the super heavy stuff.

After conical drum has settled/cooled for a few days, if not weeks, a distinct layer of white "puss" is visible through the translucent conical tank. Upon draining this "puss", much more than 5 cups comes out. The oil above the well defined layer is about a golden clear as you can imagine.

The popular wisdom (voodoo) concerning the baking soda step is that is pulls out some of the heavier fats, as well as helps to nullify any acidity in the WVO.

I think this summer I'm going to finally get some empirical evidence. I just assume not bother with that step if it is actually doing nothing.
2005 Golf GLS PD-TDI, 5-speed. Grease Car kit installed right off the lot when brand new. Running on WVO about 85% of the time.
chasee

Postby John Galt » Thu May 08, 2008 4:07 pm

The white stuff is animal fat and hydrogenated oil. It's normal for this stuff to settle out, especially if the oil is cooled below 50°F. It's the stuff that clogs vehicle filters and fuel lines every year when temperatures cool.

In general, I don't believe in adding anything to VO which has to be removed later, unless there is a valid proven reason to do so.

If someone had high titrating oil, then I might see a good reason to neutralize it. As for baking soda 'settling fats' I'd have to see some proof of that working at a constant 'room' temperature.
John Galt

Postby David » Thu May 08, 2008 6:15 pm

John Galt wrote: As for baking soda 'settling fats' I'd have to see some proof of that working at a constant 'room' temperature.

I agree. Fats will settle out just fine on their own given time so unless the baking soda ( BS) could be shown in side by side tests to do it faster than the fasts would settle themselves, I'd have to say adding it would be useless to counter productive. Heavy fats fall out quick anyway, its the stuff that stays suspended that would be the trick to remove faster.

As for the acidity, you would want to determine that your oil was acidic enough to be a problem in the first place for the BS to have any merit in being used.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby chasee » Fri May 09, 2008 5:32 am

Fair enough.

Here's a link to Brian Miller's web site:

http://saltandbakingsoda.blogspot.com/

He's the one I learned it from. I stayed away from salt, basically because my method dewatered just fine, and salt scares me. :wink:

He's got a good 250K miles on WVO so far.
chasee

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering