heated mild steel tank

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

heated mild steel tank

Postby wydra » Thu May 08, 2008 4:27 pm

My dad recently aquired a 96 dodge ram after having seing the so far success of my conversion of my 92 ford. He recently purchased a tank/toolbox combo from the local farm store. I pleaded with him not to do it(he is stubborn) and that he should get a stainless one from northern tool.

Question is, since I am still a newb at this, should he take the tank back since it has not been used yet? Is it really that big of a deal that its mild steel instead of stainless? polymerization more of an issue since it will have a hotfox?

thanks all
wydra

Postby SunWizard » Thu May 08, 2008 4:41 pm

Welcome to the forums. Whether poly will be an issue depends on many factors, steel is not the biggest factor, type of VO, time in the tank, and temp are the main factors, see the poly thread here:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40

Many of the factors creating poly are hard to control, but the metal you use in the tank is an easy one to control. Aluminum works as well as stainless, and plastic is even better.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu May 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Most Vehicle tanks are Mild steel and the greatest majority of people who run veg have no problem with poly in them. You can get poly in any tank and I would be more concerned about making sure you dried your oil throughly before I was too worried over the tank I used. Stainless or ally may be better but they are not essential and having a mild steel tank is no more guarantee of trouble than having an ally or stainless tank is a guarantee you won't.

Whatever you go for, make sure you consider all the other factors as well and you should have no problems. :D

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby Radrick » Mon May 12, 2008 11:40 am

Has anyone used any of the tank sealer/liners on vo? I have used both eastwoods and one other brand on old car tanks. The eastwood one was the latest and it worked really well. They are very thick and are capable of sealing up holes as large as 1/8". I just don't know if they are capable of standing up to vo. If no one has tried it I could do a test. I still have some of the sealant left in the can. I am thinking of making my tank out of steel instead of stainless since there is such a large price differance.
I could use some feed back on what the best perameters would be for this test. I was thinking I could use a coffe can. Should i heat it up or run it threw several heat cycles? what are the main issues that would cause the sealant to fail? Let me know.
1995 Chevy K1500 6.5 TD not on WVO yet but soon.
Radrick

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion