Hot Pan Test Confusion?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Hot Pan Test Confusion?

Postby newtoveggie » Sun May 11, 2008 8:55 am

I am having a real problem discerning the hot pan test. After running 45 gallons in the CF for 12 hours here are my findings:

When a sample was taken real tiny bubbles where seen mixed throughout the jar. Left to settle for 10-20 minutes the oil then contains no bubbles as they all rise to the top and pop.

During the hot pan test for a sample at 400 degrees oil is poured in, no crackling only tiny particles (50 microns) that come near each other and prior to contact shoot in the other direction with some velocity. They don't dissipate and remain in the oil. These particles may be air but I don't think so considering the fact that they stay in the oil even when I raise the temp higher.
When I perform the same method of Hot Pan Test on the CF's shutdown fluid the particle are more numerous.

Is any of this water?

CF run at 90 PSI 160 degrees. Oil coagulates when cool.

Let me know if I have left any valuable information out.
newtoveggie

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 11, 2008 9:47 am

Water bubbles appear on the pan surface, then rise to the surface and evaporate, they don't remain in the VO. How thick of a layer of VO did you pour in?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby newtoveggie » Sun May 11, 2008 3:28 pm

1/8"+ but everywhere around the pan regardless of thickness are these particles that remain and bounce off each other.
My final filtering (.5 nominal filter sock) seemed to collect most of them but it looks like they were replaced by some sort of material from the filter sock. Looks like real fine small pieces of thread.
newtoveggie

Postby elvia » Sun May 11, 2008 4:27 pm

I would say that 400 degrees is Way too hot to do the test. I go to 300 and get good results.
Elvia
2000 F350 XL Utility Bed. Vegistroke V3
Nolatraveler.com
elvia

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering