Water, Heat, and electricity… making a self contained system

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Water, Heat, and electricity… making a self contained system

Postby tubular031 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:24 am

Not quite sure if this is the right section but o well.....

Hey guys. Here is my plan. I kinda was inspired by sunwizard. I want to build a contraption that will produce BioD and I want it to be self sufficient.

Water for washing – I have access to 100+ gallons of water daily. My parents have one of those newer septic systems that has 3 chambers and the air pump. After the water is treated it passes through some chlorine and then is put in a tank. When the tank is full it turns on the pump and spits the clean water out sprinklers to water the yard. Do you guys think I can use this water to wash my BioD? Any tests I should do on the water to make sure its safe to use for washing and not infecting my product?

Or how about collecting rain water? Can I collect the water from the rain gutters on my house and use that as wash water? Maybe filter it to a few microns first to make sure there are no little gravel chunks from the roof.

Next

To help heat the oil I want to use the sun. I was going to start easy and cheap and get some black pipe or hose on the roof of the shed and pass the water through it to heat from the sun, then going to build some kind of heat exchanger to pass the heat from the water to the oil. What is safe to use for a heat exchanger? Copper pipe? Iron pipe? Galvanized pipe? Or would it be better to pump the oil through the pipes on the roof and let the sun heat the oil directly?

Last part electricity

Been playing with the idea of a wind mill or solar to run the pumps for this thing then came up with a diesel generator idea. We have lots of land and the noise is not an issue, and since I plan on making BioD I can use some of it to run the generator. Not sure if I am going to get a used generator or maybe build something out of a tractor motor or maybe one of those lister (spelling?) diesels. Maybe run a belt off the engine to a pump or 3 and use that to pump the oil and water around rather then using electricity!

Ok I know that there will be some costs here that will be a little hard to justify but all in all I want to make something that I don’t need to depend on someone else to run (power company, water company, gas company and on and on) and I just want to do it cause I can! :)

If anyone has some advice or ideas bring them on!
tubular031

Re: Water, Heat, and electricity… making a self contained sy

Postby SunWizard » Thu May 15, 2008 9:49 am

tubular031 wrote:Do you guys think I can use this water to wash my BioD? Any tests I should do on the water to make sure its safe to use for washing and not infecting my product?

Don't use it because it has lots of bad things in it.
Or how about collecting rain water? Can I collect the water from the rain gutters on my house and use that as wash water? Maybe filter it to a few microns first to make sure there are no little gravel chunks from the roof.

Yes thats good.
To help heat the oil I want to use the sun. I was going to start easy and cheap and get some black pipe or hose on the roof of the shed and pass the water through it to heat from the sun, then going to build some kind of heat exchanger to pass the heat from the water to the oil. What is safe to use for a heat exchanger? Copper pipe? Iron pipe? Galvanized pipe? Or would it be better to pump the oil through the pipes on the roof and let the sun heat the oil directly?

Use plastic or aluminum to avoid metals that accelerate poly. Build a box, insulate the back, put glass over it and you have a cheap collector.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby tubular031 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:28 am

Hey sun -

If I collect rain water and it sits in a barrel for a month or 3, I would think things would start to grow in there. If I seal the barrel can I put some pool chlorine or something else in there to keep things from growing?

Will PVC melt in the sun? We have 2 or 3 months here in Texas where its 95 to 110+ every day. Will that melt PVC that is filled with water?
tubular031

Postby BMW Fan » Thu May 15, 2008 10:34 am

Hello SunW,

not that it matters to me but that is not very consequent.

On infopop your advice for BIODIESLER is

SunWizard
Posted 15 May 2008 09:48 AM Hide Post
You should ask on the biodiesel side of the board, this forum is for straight veg. oil.

You created this forum with the aim :
How to safely burn Vegetable Oil as fuel in diesel engines and for heating (without making Biodiesel.)

Maybe tubular031 would be better of asking people making BIODIESEL on infopop. ???

BMW Fan

http://www.crawldog.com/klausold/
BMW Fan

Postby SunWizard » Thu May 15, 2008 10:45 am

BMW Fan wrote:Maybe tubular031 would be better of asking people making BIODIESEL on infopop. ???

Yes he would but I will answer questions that are still about the VO or solar part of it, as I do on the infopop VO board as well.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby SunWizard » Thu May 15, 2008 10:47 am

tubular031 wrote:If I collect rain water and it sits in a barrel for a month or 3, I would think things would start to grow in there. If I seal the barrel can I put some pool chlorine or something else in there to keep things from growing?

Probably not needed if the water is clean it will keep if sealed.
Will PVC melt in the sun? We have 2 or 3 months here in Texas where its 95 to 110+ every day. Will that melt PVC that is filled with water?

No PVC is fine up to about 140F.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby tubular031 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:48 am

BMW - I agree that my goal is not really to burn SVO, but on the other hand I am not asking hey guys how do you mix lye with meth to make biod? I am kinda interested in filtering and heating oil just like you would if you were going to burn SVO. i know most dont wash the oil when going SVO but sun use to in his big write ups.

But thanks for the advice. I think i will post up on the other form too. I have not used that one much. I have been reading mostly on SVO till i decided that i want a TDI and my parrents are probably going to get a psd also.
tubular031

Postby tubular031 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:33 am

SunWizard wrote:

No PVC is fine up to about 140F.

Wonder how hot the pipe will get in direct sunlight when its 110 outside?

i guess ill have to play with that this summer with my IR temp gun :)
tubular031

Postby BMW Fan » Thu May 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Hello tubular031,

I had only your best interest in mind.
Much more BIODIESEL information is available on infopop.
As an example I can give you reasons not to produce Biodiesel, but no help.

But with SunW you got the perfect teacher

BMW Fan

http://www.crawldog.com/klausold/
BMW Fan

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering