Bypass Question

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Bypass Question

Postby GOON924 » Fri May 16, 2008 12:48 pm

I know that SunW and others say it's not worth running a two barrel setup using a centrifuge. I get that and OK with that. However, would it be of any benefit (if even possible) to run the bypass at least back to the bottom of the barrel? That way the non-filtered WVO goes back to the bottom and not mixed with the good stuff that just got filtered through the CF.
GOON924

Postby SunWizard » Fri May 16, 2008 3:45 pm

If you have a bypass anywhere in the barrel it will stir up the barrel. Once its hot, it gets stirred even without a bypass just by the VO coming out of the CF.

You would get the least stirring by using the right size pump and/or pulleys so there is no bypass, or send the bypass directly into a tee at the inlet to the pump. Some pumps have a built-in adjustable pressure regulator that does that for you.

Less stirring is not better in my experience, its good to have the barrel well stirred. It ensures there is not a pocket of VO or water that doesn't get through the CF.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering