WVO additive

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

WVO additive

Postby hheynow » Sat May 24, 2008 8:02 pm

I found a new company selling WVO conversion kits as well as WVO fuel but after reading their website I started thinking about what kind of vegoil additive they are using.

Then we mix in special additives to prevent the fuel from gumming and reacting with the metal parts in your fuel system.

from HERE

Any ideas? The closest product I could find is Hot 4 in 1 but there must be a better product out there.
FOR SALE: 1997 Ford F-350 7.3L PSD - Plant Drive kit
1984 Mercedes Euro 300D NA - Custom two tank
Running on used plant oil and biodiesel since May 2006
hheynow

Postby John Galt » Sat May 24, 2008 8:09 pm

Probably works just fine in southern New Mexico and anywhere else that hot.
John Galt

Postby David » Sat May 24, 2008 9:56 pm

I looked through the Poop website and read a lot of words but saw nothing of any substance at all. I get a bit sus when I see lots of pretty stock library pictures but none at all of the very product the company is selling. There is also no indication of pricing or anything else other than open ended and non committal sales waffel.

They appear very new so I'll reserve judgment and wait to see if they have done anything verifiable in 12 months time.

As for preventing gumming and reactions, I think the best additive is due diligence and proper care with the processing of your oil right from the start. Better to do what you can to prevent or reduce any potential for problems rather than try to fix them once they happen.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby VegMeister » Wed May 28, 2008 2:21 pm

DSE scam aimed at fleets. They're smart, just like DSE scammed a lot of individuals out of 150$ or whatever, these guys are going after small (>12) fleets which are about ready to fold/go under. I know 3 guys in my area here that have gone out of business in the last 4 weeks. If a small company like that were to order some "Magic additive" for veg oil (most of these small trucking companies are collecting small quantities of veg oil but are all asking me what the heck to do with it lol) and then screw up the $40,000 rigs that they are not able to make payments on because of fuel prices, what kind of teeth are they going to have to legally go after a scammer like this? none

I know I wasted some money on DSE but was smart enough to not have done permanent damage to any vehicles, but I don't have the teeth to fight back at them. Smart scam artists always go after small, weak, and about ready to die small guys that can't fight back.
centralvalleybiodiesel CF
1993 GMC Sierra K2500 6.5L + homebuilt veg kit, OEM glowplug failure (update: rebuilt with a 6.2 block, working fine)
1988 Ford 6.9L OEM dual tank, 90+% veg oil blend.
1989 Ford 7.3L, 80+% veg oil blend.
VegMeister

Postby roverhybrids » Sat May 31, 2008 12:39 pm

It's not a scam. They are using filtered WVO
They may be using some hype in their text but they are doing two tank conversions using a controller and heat exchangers etc.
I believe the fuel additive they use is what the guy that did the polyemerzing study developed.
They got WVO legalized(or exempted) in NM and have had emmisions testing done on a VW TDI using their system, which at the time was a Plantdrive system and VO controller(with probably some of their own tricks)
roverhybrids

Postby TsTDI » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:11 pm

What sort of additive are you looking for?? Are you looking to lower the viscosity and thining it out??? Raise cetane??

Theres a lot of different things you can add to VO to make it accomplish what you want it to do. Many people blend diesel, biodiesel, kerosene and even gas with their WVO to accomplish certain combustion characteristics.

I think additives such as those above or Diesel Kleen is going to accomplish about the same that DSE does or whatever (I agree) scam artist will trick you into.
TsTDI

Postby hheynow » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:35 pm

TsTDI wrote:What sort of additive are you looking for??

Then we mix in special additives to prevent the fuel from gumming and reacting with the metal parts in your fuel system.

One that prevents the water soluble acids in WVO from reacting to certain metals in the fuel system as well as preventing polymerization in heated and oxygen rich environments.
hheynow

Postby John Galt » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:42 pm

One that prevents the water soluble acids in WVO from reacting to certain metals in the fuel system

There shouldn't be any water or water soluble acids in correctly cleaned and dewatrered VO
John Galt

Postby TsTDI » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:42 am

John Galt wrote:
One that prevents the water soluble acids in WVO from reacting to certain metals in the fuel system

There shouldn't be any water or water soluble acids in correctly cleaned and dewatrered VO

I agree with John. And as far as polymerzation goes, I think thats just apart of running VO. It is said that using certain metals vrs others will help that situation. Copper is suppose to promote polymerzation and aluminum or stainless steel is not suppose to promote poly.

However, heated VO exposed to oxygen and sloshing around in a tank all day is going to produce poly. I think a good way of avoiding this is to keep your tank topped off and not let it get down to far. I think any additive that prevents poly would be BS... just my two cents.
TsTDI

addative increases polymerization resistance

Postby HoldOnTight » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:48 am

The additive they are using is a combination of chemicals. One is a chelating agent that resists oil polymerization due to contact with reactive metals such as iron, and the other is TBHQ, which is an oil preservative that prevents polymerization of oil when exposed to heat and oxygen.

The additive is produced by Eastman Chemical, as I recall.
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby hheynow » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:03 pm

John Galt wrote:

I thought mist washing was the only way to wash out the water soluble acids from WVO and every attempt I've made yields emulsified oil so I gave up.
hheynow

Heat will break an emulsion!

Postby HoldOnTight » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:44 pm

HHeynow, Try heating your emulsion to 120 or so and let it settle. If you heat it more, the emulsion will break faster. By the time it cools, your emulsion should be no more!
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby rackley » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:42 am

It's not a scam - It's the company formerly known as Albuquerque Alternative Energies. They shut down due to legal complications (a deadbeat business partner, nothing to do with VO), reorganized and refocused on the business market (where there is a lot more opportunity) and here they are again.
rackley

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion