Problem with centrifuge

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Problem with centrifuge

Postby Muleears » Sun May 25, 2008 2:12 am

I have a filterfuge ff25 that I have been using for 6+ months so I am quite familiar with its operation, and it has been working great. Yesterday it began to give me some trouble however. It no longer seems to spin up to the RPM's it used to. And it occasionally floods itself as if the outlet were plugged. I let in run for 4 hrs. on a fresh batch of settled oil and it barely removed anything. Here is what I know:

Jets are clean and clear
oil temp is 155-160*F
PSI is 95
outlet clear
discharge from outlet seems to be normal
all internal passageways appear clean
replaced O ring at bottom of rotor
Same motor/pump/plumbing it has always had

I thought maybe some polymerized oil had collected on the spindle and was slowing the rotation so I cleaned it up with some 1500 grit sandpaper and no change. Next I'll try a stiff brush (like a gun cleaning brush) on the inside to see if that helps.

I am almost sure something is binding to slow it down, that would explain the flooding as well.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cal Genereux
Southeast VA
98 E300D, two tanked, Greasecar
87 300D Turbo, Blend
Muleears

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 25, 2008 8:44 am

How is your bearing slop? Several have reported new filterfuges with excess bearing slop, they can tilt it back and forth on the spindle a little. Maybe you have too much slop, and wear has made it worse enough that it can wobble and make it slow down. Is it any louder when running than it used to be?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Muleears » Sun May 25, 2008 12:52 pm

It's actually quieter than it used to be. I had read about the others with bearing slop also. I have no way to measure but when I grab the top of the rotor, where the spindle sticks through, I can just barely see movement. And I can't feel any movement. When I spin it by hand it makes no noises at all.
Cal Genereux
Southeast VA
87 300D Turbo, Blend
Muleears

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Maybe the rotor deformed slightly and its leaking either at the bottom or top?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Muleears » Sun May 25, 2008 2:26 pm

I have two different rotors and the same problem with both. It starts out normally but after a few minutes the pressure begins to build above where it was set, the CF floods and pressure goes up to 120+. Its as though the rotor can't keep up with the oil sent to it. The output is the same output it has always had, a one inch pipe three inches long. I don't understand what is going on.
Cal Genereux
Southeast VA
87 300D Turbo, Blend
Muleears

Postby Muleears » Mon May 26, 2008 4:53 pm

I'll call IDI tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'm afraid I'll be ordering a new turbine assembly also.

The only thing that makes sense is what Sun said about wobbling. That would slow it down so the oil would back up and it floods. Nothing about the system has changed since the beginning.

I guess I can try running it at 80-85 PSI to see if it can take that. If I can get it to work at the lower pressure at least I can get some cleaned.
Cal Genereux
Southeast VA
87 300D Turbo, Blend
Muleears

Postby td2dv » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:20 am

Muleears wrote:I'll call IDI tomorrow and see what they have to say. I'm afraid I'll be ordering a new turbine assembly also.

The only thing that makes sense is what Sun said about wobbling. That would slow it down so the oil would back up and it floods. Nothing about the system has changed since the beginning.

I guess I can try running it at 80-85 PSI to see if it can take that. If I can get it to work at the lower pressure at least I can get some cleaned.

It's been a couple months since your last post on the CF problem. How did it turn out?
Benz 240-D
Minneapolis
WVO/RUG (10%) 5 mo/yr
td2dv

Postby Muleears » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:33 am

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been back in a while. Turns out that my pump has worn enough that it can only produce 80psi. The flooding problem resolved itself. I guess I'll never know what that was. As for the pump, I now have a 4gpm at 150psi pump and a 1 hp motor. I realize this is overkill but I may switch to a larger CF at some point. I should have it hooked up this weekend.
Cal Genereux
Southeast VA
87 300D Turbo, Blend
Muleears

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering