My proposed diagram for my 94 Dodge Ram 5.9L setup

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

My proposed diagram for my 94 Dodge Ram 5.9L setup

Postby foxbro » Sun May 25, 2008 9:45 pm

SunWizard, please check out my proposed diagram for my 94 Dodge 2500 5.9L. 5 speed manual. I did it off your diagram(hope that's alright) after reading a lot of your stuff. I wanted to use the Pollak 6 port I already have. But if you feel that manual vavles are more dependable I will re-consider. Also I will accept any critisizm? you have about it, as I am a nubie and still reading and thinking about 2 tank WVO.
Thanks to you and others in this forum.
Image[/img][/code]
"No matter how cynical you get, you can't keep up."
Lilly Thomlin
foxbro

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 25, 2008 10:01 pm

The pollack won't last very long with the hot VO going through it, but if you got one and you don't mind the hassle when it goes out on you then use it.

Glow plug heater is useless since you shouldn't switchover until the engine is warm. At that point you have plenty of coolant heat.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby foxbro » Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. I would like to use the Pollak unlil it fails and re-plumb(just more hose, time and money) for manual valves (or? HydoForce?), if the mess is not that destuctive... what usually happens?.... ie. how do they usually fail?
As I had planned to start (switchover when the engine is warm) and shutdown on diesel, I was hoping the plugs(on aluminum Heat Exchanger- ebay) would be just for insurance?.
I also wanted to ask about the "tee" between the stock fuel filter and the IP... would there be any backflow into the FF when switched to WVO?

Thanks,
foxbro
Lilly Thomlin
foxbro

Postby SunWizard » Mon May 26, 2008 8:56 am

foxbro wrote:Thank you for your quick reply. I would like to use the Pollak unlil it fails and re-plumb(just more hose, time and money) for manual valves (or? HydoForce?), if the mess is not that destuctive... what usually happens?.... ie. how do they usually fail?

They stick, either not switching to VO, or somewhere halfway between so you get a mix of VO and D2.
As I had planned to start (switchover when the engine is warm) and shutdown on diesel, I was hoping the plugs(on aluminum Heat Exchanger- ebay) would be just for insurance?.

No benefit of plugs, and that one on ebay is no good, you need a FPHE, if the coolant is hot, you get hot VO guaranteed.
I also wanted to ask about the "tee" between the stock fuel filter and the IP... would there be any backflow into the FF when switched to WVO?

No there is no way for it to flow there.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby foxbro » Tue May 27, 2008 4:32 am

Thanks for the info again. I guess I'll re-think the 6 port and the HE/plugs and find a FPHE. OK, what about the copper in a lot of them? I read all the arguments on that one. That's why I went for the Aluminum HE,
I'm still gathering all the pieces for my setup(hoses, fittings, valves and filter) and trying to work out placement and routing.
Also I just picked up my first batch of WVO today.
So I am trying to set up a sediment - filtration system as well.
Any advice from anyone on just about any of these subjects is appreciated, although I am reading as much as I can adsorb, given the volume on the subjects and the conflicting and sometimes confusing information.
Thank to all contributors in this forum....plan to read on and not get in a hurry, although the pressure is mounting....ie. the price of D2 is over $5/gal out here now.
foxbro
Lilly Thomlin
foxbro

Postby SunWizard » Tue May 27, 2008 8:41 am

foxbro wrote:and find a FPHE. OK, what about the copper in a lot of them?

The copper is just for the brazing of the stainless plates together. There isn't a problem of poly in there since there is no air. And the VO doesn't sit in there for long before its burned.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion