soaking filters in alcohol?

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

soaking filters in alcohol?

Postby denson » Tue May 27, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm not talking about soaking your finish filters, but like an old tee shirt or something draped over a barrel for prefiltering. Anyone have any thoughts, predictions, warnings?
denson

Postby SunWizard » Tue May 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Why do you want to soak them in alcohol?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby denson » Wed May 28, 2008 2:20 pm

I was under the impression that alcohol may help to evaporate some water and also solidify some glycerine. I tried this once already, I soaked an old t shirt in ISO HEET and then poured some WVO through it. I noticed white chunks of crap (for lack of a better word) formed and did not pass through the t-shirt. I came to the conclusion that what ever was happening was good because the chunks of crap were in the shirt and not the oil. Am I wrong for thinking this?
denson

Postby SunWizard » Wed May 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Alcohol doesn't evaporate water, it absorbs it and creates an emulsion that is even harder to dewater. And it makes the hot pan test quit working.

You could get a partial biodiesel reaction, but any glycerine created would remain suspended in your VO and be harmful. Until the alcohol was evaporated, possibly in your vehicle tank or FPHE, and then glycerine and water would drop out clogging your filter or worse.

This is a possible problem with blending with RUG, since in the US its 10% ethanol.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby denson » Wed May 28, 2008 8:20 pm

Thank you, so the white chunks of crap I was refering to are absorbed water emulsions? They did not pass through the t-shirt filter and the filter never came into contact with the oil below in the barrel. Is the oil in the barrel still contaminated? I have also done it this way: without soaking the t-shirt in alcohol, pour in about 2 gal. WVO and then pour in the HEET, would this make any signifigant change? The oil I'm pouring in is pretty clean, it is the top portion of a cubie settled for about 2 weeks (syphoned off top) and the t-shirt filter gets pretty clogged with crap either way I do this experiment. Also note I have not mixed any of this with my existing WVO or fuel supply.
denson

Postby denson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:35 am

You could get a partial biodiesel reaction, but any glycerine created would remain suspended in your VO and be harmful. Until the alcohol was evaporated, possibly in your vehicle tank or FPHE, and then glycerine and water would drop out clogging your filter or worse.

Would the glycerine eventually drop out in a settling barrel along with the emulsified water?
denson

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:16 am

denson wrote:Would the glycerine eventually drop out in a settling barrel along with the emulsified water?

Only if you got all the alcohol out. So I don't see why you would add it to begin with.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby denson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:15 pm

I'm trying to create some sort of a pre wash system for my WVO before it goes into settling tanks. Also trying to speed up settling time at ambient tempuratures (around 80F).
denson

Postby SunWizard » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:27 pm

Alcohol does neither of those.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby denson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:05 pm

any sugestions on what would do either of the two?
denson

Hmmm

Postby HoldOnTight » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:48 pm

denson wrote:I was under the impression that alcohol may help to evaporate some water and also solidify some glycerine. I tried this once already, I soaked an old t shirt in ISO HEET and then poured some WVO through it. I noticed white chunks of crap (for lack of a better word) formed and did not pass through the t-shirt. I came to the conclusion that what ever was happening was good because the chunks of crap were in the shirt and not the oil. Am I wrong for thinking this?

Could you be seeing wax precipitate out of the solution?
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby coachgeo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:00 pm

in your trials was the filter medium (Tshirt?) soaked in alcohol and wet as you poured the WVO thru it or did they dry before putting oil thru them.

Reason I ask is alcohol disopates into the air FAST. If they were allowed to dry before using... then I dont think there was actually any alcohol left in the filter medium in your test
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:08 pm

denson wrote:any sugestions on what would do either of the two?

Settling or CF. There is no glycerine in VO unless you do a biodiesel reaction.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby denson » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Sun, thanks for for clearing that up for me. I thought glycerine was in the VO already and I did not want it there. Coach, I've done the experiment two ways; 1 soak t-shirt in alcohol, while alcohol is still wet pour in VO. 2 pour in VO then pour in alcohol. Both ways I get emulsified water chunks that do not pass through the t-shirt, I'm sure some proably did pass through(especially with method #1) but I think the bulk of it was captured. Also note, when I say alcohol I' talking about a diesel additive called ISO-HEET. From what I've been reading on this thread I would never want to put it in my tank. What reason would anyone sell such a product for? It advertises "fast year round starts" on the bottle. H.O.T., I have no idea about the wax. Does anyone else want to clue me in?
denson

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending