No more cold upflow :( new centrifuge product

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

No more cold upflow :( new centrifuge product

Postby VegMeister » Thu May 29, 2008 11:34 am

Hey guys, As you know I've been using John Galt's cold upflow for producing hundreds of gallons of oil. Yay. Only problem was it was winter so I set it up in the basement of my cabin, next to the bed. I could wake up for a drink of water and top up the filler tank :)

Needless to say this was not a permanent solution. And I wouldn't try it again, getting several 55gal drums full of veg oil out of my basement was a LOT of work.

Now I'm ordering a new centrifuge from http://www.centralvalleybiodiesel.com/. The guy I spoke with (Terry) seems like a great guy and hopefully we'll get the centrifuge set up sometime next week. He claims to have made some good improvements over the Spinner II, after experience with the DC and others. I'll keep you guys posted, might be a great source of centrifuges, especially since IDI and DC seem to have major supply problems.
centralvalleybiodiesel CF
1993 GMC Sierra K2500 6.5L + homebuilt veg kit, OEM glowplug failure (update: rebuilt with a 6.2 block, working fine)
1988 Ford 6.9L OEM dual tank, 90+% veg oil blend.
1989 Ford 7.3L, 80+% veg oil blend.
VegMeister

Postby SunWizard » Thu May 29, 2008 11:55 am

I haven't heard of any supply problems at DC. That looks like the CF from india that is almost exactly the same as the DC units. I am surprised its $30 more than the DC and doesn't include all the accessories they do. Its good to have more competition maybe it will help bring down the prices.

Interesting that the instructions posted on that site say its for a FF25 CF.

What are the improvements he has made?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby VegMeister » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:24 pm

He's a great guy, talked with him on the phone several times and he was a wealth of information both times. He's taken a Spinner II aparrently and got a stronger rotor? I think or maybe it was the dome... heavier gauge anyways, and he's got it being made in Europe somewhere.

BTW DC has big supply problems, at least 2 weeks ago it was impossible to find any DC or FF products anywhere, and both warehouses told me personally that they were back ordered big time.
centralvalleybiodiesel CF
1993 GMC Sierra K2500 6.5L + homebuilt veg kit, OEM glowplug failure (update: rebuilt with a 6.2 block, working fine)
1988 Ford 6.9L OEM dual tank, 90+% veg oil blend.
1989 Ford 7.3L, 80+% veg oil blend.
VegMeister

Postby David » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:21 am

While Upflow settling has it's limitations, I still think it is a very useful system for pre-treating oil Before it is Cf'ed. The oil is cleaned of a lot of contaminants and the water content is reduced which has to make the oil a better quality material to work with from the start.

Cf ing the oil would take over where the settling leaves off and will produce oil of the ultimate quality.

I was talking to my uncle the other day who has had a very close and life long relationship with diesel engines and upon mentioning Cf's for oil cleaning, he immeadiatly took me to " the Libary" in his back shed ( full of an amazing amount of service manuals and mechanical refrence books) And pulled the workshop manual for a 1958 Albion engine/ Chassis ( He put a bus on it) that had a centrifuge as an oil filter ( and no " standard" type filter of any kind.)

This filter was exactly the same as the current DC et all type and was standard equipment on several engines and makes, some as late as 80's models and maybe later. I am going to start ringing around truck wreckers and see if I can find one of these OEM CF's and what I can get my oily mitts on one for.

I photographed all the relevant pages of the service manual and i'll read over them to find the flow and pressure these cf's were operated at.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby Johnh » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:15 am

I run an '85 Scania R114 14 litre 390 HP not on vegi yet but verrry tempted.
The only oil filter this has is an OEM M & N centrifuge. Many of them whine like crazy but mine I don't even hear running down. but its working fine according to the amount of crap I get out of it every oil change.
I'm trying to chase up one off a wreck now but so far no Luck these engines have terribly long lives.
Regards
John
Johnh

Postby David » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:37 am

Johnh wrote:I run an '85 Scania R114 14 litre 390 HP

these engines have terribly long lives.

Perfect!!
I'd love to shoe horn one into my NA merc to give it a bit of " Pep".
With that engine, I could turn the gearbox around the other direction so it was all over drive and still spin the back wheels at will! :D

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering