Dealing with humidity and condensation

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Re: Dealing with humidity and condensation

Postby HoldOnTight » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Okay, it was a few years since my last post, and here is what happened since then. I made 2 desiccant filters, one for each side of my 110 gal. aluminum WVO tank. I didn't have a big fat desiccant bag to put in the PVC unit, so I put a 4 in. computer fan grate in the 4" to 2" section as a support for the desiccant and it was held in place with epoxy. On top of that, I placed a 4" round cut stainless mesh of 100 microns and epoxied the edges to make a good seal so there could be no bypass. The mesh was purchased from McMaster-Carr while everything else came from the chain hardware store. I then sealed all the pieces with PVC cement except the top, which was a 4" plumbing inspection cap that is a friction fit. On the side of my truck with a fill tube, it goes to a Y pipe and then to the tank. The other end of the Y goes to the fill cap on my truck cap. I found this worked fairly well on the end of the tank with the fill tube, as long as the tank was kept full. After a long trip out of state, the air space in the tank was much greater, and the huffing as well. Inside a month, the desiccant filter was spent. But first, what happened is any condensation that was on the other side of 2 baffles still seemed to have some moisture even though the port was capped.

So I put the second desiccant filter on the other side and it was all good. I could allow the tank be be consistently between 50-80% full most of the summer before both desiccant filters were taking on moisture (color change). My oil remained dry. This most recent summer, I've had both desiccant filters last the entire summer. I'll recharge them this winter and they should last another year. Both desiccant filters have about 2.2lbs each of desiccant which I purchased at Harbor Freight.

This is the first year I've not run with water-block filters, without worry as long as I used my own settled and vacuum- dried oil.
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Previous

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering