filters plugging while on a 50/50 blend

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby David » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:53 pm

When I was mainly blending I made myself up a HE and installed that. Straight away I noticed better performance and I can run fatty oil mixtures well over 50% had have no problems with filter clogging even from cold.
I think settling is the best way to remove any fats but there always seems to be that transition period from sumer to winter where a cold snap occours and
all the oil you had previously cleaned suddenly cloudsup with fats. The Installation of a HE takes the worry out of that.

My guess is that when running fatty mixes with a HE, there is sufficient oil that gets through to allow the engine to run long enough to get heat into the oil to melt any fats before they shut the fuel flow off all together. I have repeatedly tested running high fat mixtures and haven't been able to block a filter for want of trying. Once the vehicle is up to temp, you know the IP is getting nice thin oil that takes the strain off it by making the oil far closer to Diesel in its Viscosity.

Installing a HE isn't difficult or expensive but in my experience is a very worthwhile addition to any vehicle running blends and saves a lot of potential trouble and effort.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Re: filters plugging while on a 50/50 blend

Postby Dave3500 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:50 pm

sacveggieguy wrote:Hi to all.

Im blending a 50/50 mix of diesel and wvo. My oil has been through my CF and then i blended the oil and put it in my tank. Prior to blending I took the tank out and took it to one of those car wash places with the long wands and cleaned out the tank using hot water and soap this did not seem to clean out the tank well enough as i am plugging up filters pretty quickly, should I boil out the tank at a radiator shop owhat are you guys using?

Thanks Paul aka Sacveggieguy

I thought that the CF would take out all the fats & water?

In my Ford van when I took the tanks down, I stuck my hand inside & cleaned them with an SOS pad. I would than pressure wash them & inspect. It took awhile, but I ended up with factory clean tanks.

My Dodge tank was almost spotless. The only thing was a small bit of floaties. Very exceptable for a ten year old truck.
98.5 Red Dodge dually
Kubota, small farm Tractor
Dave3500

Postby Dave3500 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Installing a HE isn't difficult or expensive but in my experience is a very worthwhile addition to any vehicle running blends and saves a lot of potential trouble and effort.[/quote]

Do you have any pix of your HE? Wouldn't mind making & installing one.

Thanks,
Dave
98.5 Red Dodge dually
Dave3500

Postby John Galt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:25 pm

I thought that the CF would take out all the fats & water?

It probably removes free water, but a centrifuge won't remove the fats unless the oil temperature is below 50°F.

It's likely the very clean fats that are clogging the filters when they settle out in the cold.
Last edited by John Galt on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Galt

Postby Dave3500 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:59 pm

Was thinking about getting a CF but Not sure. If the fat doesn't spin out why bother.

Question, put some blend in my tank & my truck started running on limp mode. first my low pressure light came on then it started running ruff. I will get it out of my tank. My B100 pump won't take it out of the tank. It seemed to pour in like it was diesel fuel. I did put UMO in the mix. I think if i did not put that in it would be fine. What should I do with the stuff that is in the tank when I get it out. let it settle?

I want to get a CF so that I could step my blend up & not have to change fuel filters so often.

Dave
98.5 Red Dodge dually
Dave3500

Postby John Galt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:25 pm

What should I do with the stuff that is in the tank when I get it out.

Use for brush fire starter
John Galt

Postby Dave3500 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:57 pm

John,

I was thinking about running it thru my CF when I get it! That's what I meant, how should I reprocess it? I guess I just got Gatled!
:-)

Dave
98.5 Red Dodge dually
Dave3500

Postby Dave3500 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:14 am

I forgot to post my findings. In my blend I added some UMO. That settled in the tank. Cleaned the tank out, filter housing & installed a new filter.

I'm not even close to running a 50/50 blend & my low pressure light is Blinking. Put another 10 gallons of D2 in the tank & it's fine.

Think I need a HE of some kind?

Dave
98.5 Red Dodge dually
Dave3500

Previous

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending