Diesel/Power Service Diesel Kleen blend?

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Diesel/Power Service Diesel Kleen blend?

Postby powerstroke73L » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:40 pm

I've run about 35 gallons through my modified Galt Upflow and though I'm not running a one tank system I decided to test a sample of fuel since it is a blend. As far as the oil I've been using I'm very indiscriminate. The blue barrel (which contains the original batch) contains soy, canola, peanut, and PHO. This has all be filtered through a t-shirt and mixed together along with diesel fuel and power service. The original barrel contained 49 gallons of WVO, 5 gallons of diesel fuel, and 3 quarts of PSDK + 4oz of biocide. This works out to the following rough percentages:

90% WVO

9% Diesel

1% Power Service Diesel Kleen/Biocide

However, this was the mix in the barrel as it stood. As per the upflow design I have been pouring new oil (filter via a t-shirt) into the barrel which has been pushing settled clean oil into the storage barrel. I'm suspecting that this has tweaked the ratios a bit (greater percentage of oil), so just for the hell of it I decided to test a small sample in the freezer.

The test was totally unscientific, it was more or less a "let's see what happens" type of thing. After being in the freezer for a few minutes (not at all sure of the temp, but its the basement freezer where I store my venison-everything else is frozen solid) the oil began to cloud and would "stick" to the sides of the peanut butter jar, much like a thick red wine. I left the sample in overnight and checked on it this morning. The oil has completely turned to jello. Of course I neglected to take a picture :( Again, in a heated system this is not an issue, but I'm curious as to how much this has to do with the oil having such a low concentration of diesel in it or whether it has more to do with the fact that I used PHO. Would I be seeing dramatically different results if I had used 25% diesel? Or does the fact that the PHO is in there negate everything?
powerstroke73L

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:00 pm

Higher ratio 25-50% versus 9% of diesel doesn't lower the cloud point by much. A frig is a better test than freezer since below 20F even non PHO will cloud and gel. See:
Comparing different VO types
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending