Maximum safe percentage of WVO in oil burner?

Space Heating with SVO WVO Vegetable Oil Biofuel.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Maximum safe percentage of WVO in oil burner?

Postby powerstroke73L » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:25 pm

As a possible way to "dispose" of my ill fated WVO/diesel blend (see this thread: Critique my twist on cold upflow settling ) I was thinking of attempting to blend small amounts in with the fuel oil already in the tank. I believe the tank is 275 gallons-so 55 gallons (I have two 55 gallon drums) would be exactly 20%, and 27.5 gallons would be exactly 10%.

The issue with this blend is that as a result of mixing the oil with diesel fuel and Power Service Diesel Kleen, there is no way to tell how much water is in the fuel, couple with the fact that the Diesel Kleen is more than likely causing suspended water to remain in the oil. However, I'm operating with the following assumptions:

-Oil burners are not nearly as sensitive to suspended/dissolved water as injector pumps

-Blending in a home heating oil tank is safer because of the fact that the tank is in a consistently temperature controlled environment. I would assume (and I'll test this to be sure) that as long as the heat is on that the oil in the tank doesn't get any colder than 65 degrees F even in the dead of winter.

-Blending would be best accomplished by adding the oil to the tank and using a pump to recirculate the oil for a period of time, ensuring thorough mixing.

Am I missing anything here?
powerstroke73L

Postby WD8CDH » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:08 am

I would suggest blending in a "day tank" rather than the main tank. The limit without modification is usually between 10% and 20% depending on the oil. Blend it well so you don't get a slug of WVO from settling.

A 15 gallon poly drum makes a good temporary day tank.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH

Postby powerstroke73L » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:22 am

WD8CDH wrote:A 15 gallon poly drum makes a good temporary day tank.

Sounds like a great idea. I just happen to have a source of 15 gallon poly drums too. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of such a setup?
powerstroke73L

Postby coachgeo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:55 am

antidotal evidence seems to show that once you mix it it does not settle out.

So you can mix your blend in a container with home heating oil to about any ratio you want. Say 50/50 in a 5 gal bucket and A drill with a good long paint stir wand should be fine since you have no RUG in this mix.

then add this blend to your larger main tank or Day Tank. Putting it in the Main tank will change your ratios way beyond 50/50 and since its premixed Im guessing it would blend in all on its own just fine not requiring you to worry about mixing that in well with the main tank oil. Could still use day tank instead though

Think, but I could be wrong, that what he means by day tank is just a temporary tank that takes place of your main tank. Straight forward plumbing with valves to "T" it into your existing heater's plumbing and pumps. EXCEPT with the day tank you would not have your tank heater to assist you unless this heater is actually NOT inside the tank but actually an inline heater that heats the oil along the way to the pump
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Return to Vegetable Oil Space Heating