Question on oil quality and centerfuge.

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Question on oil quality and centerfuge.

Postby Radrick » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:39 pm

I am ready to order my centerfuge, I am looking at ordering the dieselcraft OC20 I believe. The same one from Sun's original system. My brother in law is the manager of a BBQ Ribb joint and his best friend is the manager of a sports bar. I know I can get oil from both of them but it is probubly not very clean oil. The ribb joint puts the fat from the smoker in there oil so it would be the worst. The sports bar serves allot of burgers so there would be some fat it theirs to. If my filtering system is the same as suns with the pump at the lowers point and the heaters in the pipe will using this oil be a problem? Will the centerfuge remove the fats? If not will they cause problems or will the engine just burn them? I am planning on aproaching some other resteraunt that have better oil but I will alway have these two for backup and I would rather have something like this as I get going so I don't hassle a better supplier with all my mistakes as I learn. Any opions are welcome.
1995 Chevy K1500 6.5 TD not on WVO yet but soon.
Radrick

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Fats are no problem, I collect very dirty PHO with lots of fat. The CF doesn't remove them and they burn fine as long as you have a heated fuel system. Fats settle out quickly in storage barrels at 60F, if you don't want to burn it.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Radrick » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:46 am

SunWizard wrote:Fats are no problem, I collect very dirty PHO with lots of fat. The CF doesn't remove them and they burn fine as long as you have a heated fuel system. Fats settle out quickly in storage barrels at 60F, if you don't want to burn it.

So they settle out in your fuel tank and then they remix when you run it and heat it? This won't cause me any problem? If not I don't have any problems burning it, Fuel is Fuel. So when I am butchering venisen can I throw the fat in the processor and run it threw? If I ad garlic will it get rid of the gamie smell :D ?
1995 Chevy K1500 6.5 TD not on WVO yet but soon.
Radrick

Postby WD8CDH » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:50 pm

I would suspect that the part that melts and gets thru your processing system will be OK. I have run butter, chicken fat, lard and bacon grease in the past. All carefully dewatered first of course.

If it will melt and become clear at about 140F or below, it should be fine.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Radrick wrote:So they settle out in your fuel tank and then they remix when you run it and heat it? This won't cause me any problem?

They don't have much time to settle out in my tank since it gets stirred up regularly. Even if it did settle, it would be melted by my heated pickup and then heated to >170F before the IP. I use PHO about half the time, and its caused no problems.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion