Electricty use with Centrifuge System vs Heat settling

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Electricty use with Centrifuge System vs Heat settling

Postby all_grown_up » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:14 pm

I would be very interested in comments on the relative added cost of a centrifuge system which could involve running the centrifuge and heater for some hours vs heat settling which once you got the oil up to 160 you could turn it off.

Has anyone kept track of the electricity bill?
all_grown_up

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:19 pm

I calculated the cost of running my Dieselcraft rig, and it comes out to $.02/ gallon. (and much cheaper if you live where its already 100F) Any CF rig will be about that same amount since they need the VO heated to about 120F to work right. Heating the VO is the main cost, spinning the rotor is almost nothing ($.001/gallon per hour, costs me 14 cents for a 45gallon batch). It will cost a little more on a low flow rate CF since you need to spin the rotor for much longer. So energy cost is not significant, and costs about the same as the other methods, unless you use solar to heat which will work with a CF also.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:57 am

Suffice to say that the energy costs whatever method you use are completely and utterly insignificant when you even begin to take into account what you are saving on every gallon of fuel you DON"T have to buy.

With my filtering and drying setup ( Non CF) I have calculated that for me it costs under 1 cent per litre to produce quality oil. I tried working out the cost of filters but as I settle till the oil is clear, the cost is just not worth even trying to calculate considering the amount of oil every filter processes.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby WD8CDH » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:50 pm

A lot depends on how well insulated your system is, the temperature you are heating to, the oil starting temperature and the ambient temperature.

My system which includes 24/7 heating of the upflow settling tank, heating the lines and filters, heating the storage tank (to keep the fats clear), the fueling pump and the fueling line uses less than $5.00 a month average (25KWh/month) producing clean and dry oil for my car, house heating and water heating. My filter costs are under $15.00 a year.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'85 MB 300DT 2 Tank
Since '81 former WVO conversions:
'83 240D
'80 Audi 4000D
'83 Isuzu Pup
'86 Golf
'76 Honda Civic with Kubota engine
Prior to the cars, several generators
Kubota Tractor
WD8CDH