Paying for wvo!?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Paying for wvo!?

Postby Radrick » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:54 am

I just approached one of the resteraunts that I had in mind for getting wvo. It is a resteraunt that is next door to a comercial property that parents own. I have know them for years. As it turns out they are selling there wvo for $0.19 per gallon to a guy that is using as fuel. I spoke with the owners son and he clearly felt bad that he couldn't help me out. So I guess it's off to the others on my list. Ya win some and ya loose some. There was an article in the local news paper last week about people paying for wvo. Of course the news paper made it seem like all the resteraunts were getting big bucks for there waste oil.
1995 Chevy K1500 6.5 TD not on WVO yet but soon.
Radrick

Postby leftcoastjeff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, I kept asking and finally found out that the tallow company is paying $o.o3 per gal.
A week after I offered twice$$, than they starting giving it again for nothing!
Waiting payed off, maybe it was guilt, I keep showing up for a beer at least.
Good luck

LCjeff
'87F-250 stock, minus that pesky water seporator/air inlet, bone stock for now.

Thomas Edison says it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
leftcoastjeff

Postby Performance Plus WVO » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:34 pm

I believe paying for oil is going to be a new world order. Grease is now a commodity not a by-product that no one wants any longer. I am dealing with the same thing. Owners of bussiness's want to recoup thier costs on higher priced goods. Can't blame them can we?
Performance Plus WVO

Postby David » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:42 pm

The wonderful benefits brought to you by those that want to promote veg to all and sundry and get all excited every time something about veg makes it to the media.

Here in oz it seems that there are a lot of doubly stupid people because rather than learn from what has happened in other places and having the brains to shut the hell up about what they are doing, they seem hell bent on going down the exact same road.

In many country areas and some states, WVO is already near impossible to get but has this dissuaded a number of idiots from seeking media attention and making the biggest song and dance about it possible? No such luck.

Perhaps the penny will drop when their own sources finally dry up and they have to go back to paying full tilt for their fuel?

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby 123eddie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:28 am

Lately due to high price of fuel we have a lot of people getting into wvo. In San Diego there are people advertising on Craig's List that they will set out a barrel and pay $1 a gallon. I have only been doing this since Dec 2007. I bought two old Mercedes thinking the oil part would be easy. Rude awakening but after persistence I'm now looking at starting my strategic reserve with the extra oil. I sold my beloved Tacoma and bought a Dodge 12 valve. Stay with Mom and Pop restaurants and buy meals and keep asking with out being pushy got me my largest supplier.
I hope that when the masses get used to the high price of fuel the interest will die down and I fully agree with David, these people that preach to the choir about wvo are ruining it for everyone.
123eddie

Postby zoochy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:20 pm

I don’t have to pay for my WVO (yet) but I am up against some fairly creative competition lately. A local guy who owns a fryer fume hood servicing company is offering restaurants 20% off their service fee if they let him collect their WVO. Fortunately for me the guy cannot commit to weakly collection so my source that has limited storage space (no alley for a grease dumpster) is likely safe for me for now.

I agree with the above posts. Preaching the merits of WVO is what is going to do us in. When people ask me about getting into it, I first ask them if they really have the time for another hobby? That and a little comment how they can really mess up their engine if they do something wrong, usually turns most off in a hurry.
1988 Dodge Ram in progress.
1997 Dodge Ram- 2 tank; Arctic Fox pickup; TIH; Plantdrive VM2 filter; Hydroforce valves
PREVIOUS 91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine >200,000 km on: 88% canola WVO; 11% old gasoline; 0.6% turpentine; 0.3% acetone; 0.1% eye of newt
zoochy

Postby Burbarian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:51 pm

123eddie wrote:Rude awakening but after persistence I'm now looking at starting my strategic reserve with the extra oil.

How much is enough, and how much is too much? Is 1000 gallons ok? What about 10000? Stockpiling a strategic fuel reserve is an excellent plan, and in rural areas you can probably get away with as much as you can squirrel away out of sight. (taking due precautions from bears and cayotes) Thankfully I've not (yet) had to start paying for solid-till-120F(~50C) lard, but it's only a matter of time.

In urban areas, a few hundred gallons may get you in trouble with the authorities.

Anybody know any legal impediments to storage of oil on one's own property? Or the legalities of buying, selling and transporting oil in hundred to thousand gallon quantities?
1987 GMC Suburban 6.2L V8 IDI
1985 Merc 300TD
1968 CAT D4D 3304 dozer
1971 Waldon 4100 loader
1981 IHI 30F excavator
1995 Changfa 195 w/ ST 10kw genset
Burbarian

Postby 123eddie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:58 pm

Burbarian wrote
How much is enough, and how much is too much?
That's a good question and most of us living in neighborhoods will have a hard time storing multiple 275 gallon totes. Today on the San Diego Craig's list someone posted that they were willing to pay $ 2.00 per gallon for unfiltered wvo. I replied with the question Did I understand your ad right that you are willing to pay $2 per gallon and shortly after I got an e-mail saying Yes. I hope that this is only one person desperate to fuel his recently Lovecraft conversion and not the new going rate.
123eddie

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion